2018 Maine Revised Statutes
14 §6022. Receipts for rent payments and security deposits

Universal Citation: 14 ME Rev Stat § 6022 (2018)

§6022. Receipts for rent payments and security deposits

1. Rent receipts required. A landlord or his agent shall provide a written receipt, as required in subsection 2, for each rental payment and each security deposit payment received partially or fully in cash from any tenant. This receipt shall be delivered to the tenant at the time the cash payment is accepted. If either the rent or security deposit is accepted in more than one installment instead of a single payment, a separate receipt shall be provided for each payment. If the payment for rent and security deposit is received at the same time, a separate receipt, properly identified in accordance with subsection 2, shall be issued each for the rental payment and for the security deposit.

[ 1979, c. 180, (NEW) .]

2. Minimum information. The information contained in each receipt shall include, but is not limited to, the following: The date of the payment; the amount paid; the name of the party for whom the payment is made; the period for which the payment is being made; a statement that the payment is either for rent or for security deposit; the signature of the person receiving the payment; and the name of that person printed in a legible manner. A rent card retained by the tenant and containing the aforementioned information shall satisfy the requirements of this section.

[ 1979, c. 180, (NEW) .]

3. Exemption. This section shall not apply to any tenancy for a dwelling unit which is part of a structure containing no more than 5 dwelling units, one of which is occupied by the landlord.

[ 1979, c. 180, (NEW) .]


1979, c. 180, (NEW).

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Maine may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.