2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 37 - Professions and Occupations
RS 37:563 - Definitions
As used in this Chapter, the following words shall have the meaning herein ascribed to them, unless the content clearly otherwise indicates:
(1) "Beauty shop" or "salon" means any premises upon or within which cosmetology is practiced for a fee. These terms shall not include the premises wherein any of the persons exempted in R.S. 37:581 practice or do business.
(2) "Blow dry technician" means an individual who provides blow drying hair services.
(3) "Blow drying hair services" means to provide to an individual for compensation the services of beautifying, cleaning, arranging, curling, dressing, blow drying, or performing any other similar procedure intended to beautify, clean, or arrange the hair.
(4) "Board" means the Louisiana State Board of Cosmetology. The board shall constitute a professional association within the meaning of Article VII, Section 9 of the Constitution of Louisiana.
(5) "Cosmetologist" means any person, who is not exempted from the provisions of this Chapter pursuant to R.S. 37:581, who engages in the practice of cosmetology for compensation, directly or indirectly, including tips.
(6) "Cosmetology" means the practice of using one's hands, mechanical or electrical apparatuses, or appliances or using cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, soaps, detergents, tonics, lotions, or creams in any one or any combination of the practices of esthetics, hair dressing, and manicuring for compensation, direct or indirect, including tips.
(7) "Esthetician" means a person who practices esthetics.
(8) "Esthetics" means engaging in any one or a combination of the following practices: massaging the face or neck of a person, dyeing or trimming eyebrows, applying natural or artificial enhancements to eyelashes, hair removal by cosmetic preparations, threading, waxing, or other similar means, stimulating, cleansing, or beautifying the face, neck, arms, bust, upper body, legs, or feet of a person by any method with the aid of the hands or of any mechanical or electrical apparatus, including micro-dermabrasion, epidermabrasion, or particle exfoliation using equipment and methodology approved by the board or by the use of a cosmetic preparation; however, esthetics shall not include the diagnosis, treatment, or therapy of any dermatological condition, or the process of removing hair known as "electrolysis".
(9) "Hairdressing" means massaging, cleansing, washing, stimulating, manipulating, exercising, beautifying, or doing similar work upon the scalp of any person, including arranging, singeing, cutting or shaping, curling or waving, cleansing, shampooing, styling, bleaching, coloring, or similar work upon the hair of another person.
(10) "Manager" means a person responsible for supervising any facility required to be licensed as a beauty shop or salon where one or more person offers cosmetology services or engages in the practice of cosmetology.
(11) "Manicuring" means trimming, filing, decorating, shaping, sculpting, or in any way caring for the nails and skin of another person's hands or feet together with massaging the hands, arms, legs, and feet including pedicuring; however, manicuring shall not include the use of blades or graters for callous or skin removal.
(12) "Manicurist" means a person who practices manicuring.
(13) "Mobile salon" means a self-contained facility, where cosmetology is practiced for a fee, that may be moved, towed, or transported from one location to another.
(14) "Satellite classroom" means a separate classroom location used as supplemental training space located under the same roof of the main school building or on the same campus as the administrative center and within at least three hundred feet of the main school building for the purpose of training an overflow of students who cannot be accommodated at the main school.
(15) "School" means any premises wherein cosmetology is taught.
(16) "Student" means a person registered in a school authorized by the board to teach cosmetology.
(17) "Teacher" or "instructor" means a person who teaches cosmetology for direct or indirect compensation, within a school.
Acts 2001, No. 907, §2, eff. June 26, 2001; Acts 2010, No. 728, §1; Acts 2016, No. 271, §1; Acts 2016, No. 611, §1.