2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 31 - Mineral Code
RS 31:213 - DEFINITIONS
PART 3. DEFINITIONS
Unless otherwise defined by express agreement, the following terms used in this Code shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Bonus" means money or other property given for the execution of a mineral lease, except interests in production from or attributable to property on which the lease is given.
(2) "Mining Plan" means that plan for development of lignite or other form of coal filed with the appropriate government official in connection with an application for a surface mining permit to conduct operations within some portion of the mining plan. The mining plan indicates the area ultimately to be mined or used for mining operations, and an area of land may be included in a mining plan even though a surface mining permit for operations is limited to a portion of the land in the mining plan or to a specified period of time shorter than the time necessary for full implementation of the mining plan. For purposes of filings under Articles 61, 115, and 191, a mining plan shall consist of a description of the land covered by the filing with the appropriate government official or a plat showing the same. If that official shall disapprove of inclusion of land in the mining plan under his authority under the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act or successor legislation, then the filing of the mining plan will have no effect under Articles 61, 115, and 191 with respect to the land disapproved. If he shall require under his authority under the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act or successor legislation the amendment of a mining plan to include land not included in a previous filing, then the amendment of the mining plan shall have the same effect from the date of the amendment under Articles 61, 115, and 191 as though such additional land had been included in the mining plan. When used in this definition, "appropriate government official" means the commissioner of conservation or other state or federal official who issues permits to conduct surface mining of lignite or other forms of coal within the state of Louisiana.
(3) "Pool" means an underground reservoir containing a common accumulation of crude petroleum or gas or both. Each zone of a general structure that is completely separated from any other zone in the structure is covered by the term "pool."
(4) "Rental" means money or other property given to maintain a mineral lease in the absence of drilling or mining operations or production of minerals. "Rental" does not include payments classified by a lease as constructive production.
(5) "Royalty," as used in connection with mineral leases, means any interest in production, or its value, from or attributable to land subject to a mineral lease, that is deliverable or payable to the lessor or others entitled to share therein. Such interests in production or its value are "royalty," whether created by the lease or by separate instrument, if they comprise a part of the negotiated agreement resulting in execution of the lease. "Royalty" also includes sums payable to the lessor that are classified by the lease as constructive production.
(6) "Unit" means an area of land, deposit, or deposits of minerals, stratum or strata, or pool or pools, or a part or parts thereof, as to which parties with interests therein are bound to share minerals produced on a specified basis and as to which those having the right to conduct drilling or mining operations therein are bound to share investment and operating costs on a specified basis. A unit may be formed by convention or by order of an agency of the state or federal government empowered to do so. A unit formed by order of a governmental agency is termed a "compulsory unit."
(7)(a) "Actual mining operations", as used in connection with the mining of lignite or other forms of coal, means good faith operations to obtain or establish the production of lignite or other forms of coal.
(b) Such operations shall be deemed to have commenced with the good faith initiation of any of the following or other similar types of activity: the removal of existing improvements, construction of railroad spurs, conveyor or transportation facilities for lignite and other forms of coal, and haul roads, construction of electric power lines, relocation of existing pipelines, construction of sedimentation ponds, on-site erection of major equipment for removal or transportation of lignite and other forms of coal and overburden, construction and installation of de-watering facilities, construction of office, shop, or other facilities, the removal of overburden, and other such necessary operations conducted to obtain or utilize lignite or other forms of coal.
(c) The initiation of any of the above or similar activities shall constitute a commencement of actual mining operations when conducted by or under the authority of:
(i) The party mining or commencing the mining of lignite or other forms of coal;
(ii) An affiliated synthetic fuel facility; or
(iii) An affiliated specific major electric generating facility.
Acts 1974, No. 50, §213, eff. Jan. 1, 1975. Amended by Acts 1982, No. 780, §1; Acts 1983, No. 203, §1.