2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 27 - Louisiana Gaming Control
RS 27:402 - Definitions
As used in this Chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Board" means the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, as established by R.S. 27:11.
(2) "Certified technicians level one" means qualified service personnel trained by a manufacturer, distributor, or other qualified entity, or in a training program approved by the division, who are capable of clearing paper or money jams, changing paper contained within the video draw poker devices, or retrieving money from video draw poker devices.
(3) "Certified technicians level two" means qualified service personnel trained by a manufacturer, distributor, or other qualified entity, or in a training program approved by the division, who are capable of clearing paper or money jams, changing paper contained within the video draw poker devices, or retrieving money from video draw poker devices, performing any repairs, parts replacements, maintenance, cleaning, and other matters related to servicing of video draw poker devices.
(4) "Device operation" means the privilege of operating a video draw poker device in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter.
(5) "Device owner" means a person other than a distributor, who owns and operates, maintains, repairs, or services one or more video draw poker devices in licensed establishments.
(6) "Distributor" means any person who buys, sells, leases, services, or repairs video draw poker devices and provides a facility for the inspection of those devices as required by the division.
(7) "Division" shall have the same meaning as that term defined in R.S. 27:3.
(8) "Hotel" or "motel" means an operating commercial establishment which possesses all appropriate licensing as a hotel or motel and which is engaged primarily in the renting of rooms, generally at a daily rate basis, which provides overnight lodging to the general public.
(9) "Institutional investor" means a person that is:
(a) A plan or trust established and maintained by the United States government, a state, a political subdivision of a state for the benefit of their respective employees.
(b) An investment company that is registered under the Investment Company Act of 1940.
(c) A collective investment trust organized by a bank under Part Nine of the rules of the Comptroller of the Currency.
(d) A closed end investment trust registered with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
(e) A mutual fund.
(f) A life insurance company or property and casualty insurance company.
(g) A federal or state bank.
(h) An investment advisor registered under the Investment Advisors Act of 1940.
(10) "Licensed establishment" means an establishment that has a Class A-General retail permit or a Class A-Restaurant permit as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, for the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption or a Louisiana state racing commission licensed race track, pari-mutuel wagering facility, or offtrack wagering facility, or a qualified truck stop facility as defined in R.S. 27:417. Licensed establishment shall not include any premises leased to or utilized by a bona fide nonprofit organization for the conducting of charitable gaming nor any convenience store, quick-stop, food-mart, service station, grocery store, barber shop, laundromat/washateria, package or discount liquor/cigarette establishment, movie theater, or beauty shop.
(11) "Manufacturer" means any person who manufactures or assembles and programs video draw poker devices for use in this state.
(12) "Net device revenue" means the gross revenue of a device less the value of prizes paid as shown on the meters of the device.
(13) "Person" shall have the same meaning as that term defined in R.S. 27:3.
(14) "Restaurant, bar, tavern, cocktail lounge, or club" means an operating establishment primarily engaged in the retail sale of prepared foods or the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises or immediate consumption that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit or a Class A-Restaurant permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, for the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption.
(15) "Service entity" means any person other than a distributor or device owner who repairs, services, inspects, or examines video draw poker devices.
(16) "Suitability", "suitable", or "suitability requirements" means the criteria provided for in R.S. 27:427.
(17) "Video draw poker device" means any unit, mechanism, or device authorized pursuant to the provisions of this Chapter, that, upon insertion of a ticket voucher or cash, is available to play or simulate the play of the game of draw poker, or other card games approved by the division utilizing a video display and microprocessors in which the player may win games or credits that can be redeemed for cash only. The term does not include a device that directly dispenses coins, cash, tokens, or any thing else of value, except the ticket voucher required in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter. The term does not include any device authorized to be used in the conducting of charitable gaming. The term does not include any slot machine as defined in R.S. 27:353.
(18) "Video draw poker" means any card game approved by the division that utilizes one deck of cards per hand with multiple hands permitted per game.
(19) "Video draw poker employee" means a person issued a permit pursuant to the provisions of R.S. 27:445.
Acts 1999, No. 1390, §1; Acts 2012, No. 161, §2; Acts 2017, No. 54, §1; Acts 2018, No. 428, §1; Acts 2018, No. 491, §1.