2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 27 - Louisiana Gaming Control
RS 27:353 - Definitions
When used in this Chapter, the following terms shall have these meanings:
(1) "Board" means Louisiana Gaming Control Board.
(2) "Designated slot machine gaming area" means the contiguous area of an eligible live racing facility at which slot machine gaming may be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter, determined by measuring the area, in square feet, inside the interior walls of the licensed eligible facility, excluding any space therein in which gaming activities may not be conducted, such as bathrooms, stairwells, cage and beverage areas, and emergency evacuation routes of any width that meet or exceed the minimum size required by law.
(3) "Division" shall have the same meaning as that term defined in R.S. 27:3.
(4) "Eligible facility" means no more than one facility in St. Landry Parish, Bossier Parish, Orleans Parish, and Calcasieu Parish at which the Louisiana State Racing Commission has licensed the conduct or at which the commission has approved the future licensing of the conduct of not less than eighty days within a consecutive twenty-week period each year of live horse race meetings, unless the commission approves the conduct of less than eighty days within a consecutive twenty-week period or a different consecutive or nonconsecutive period, whenever an eligible facility is prevented from conducting live racing as a result of a natural disaster, an act of God, force majeure, a catastrophe, or such other occurrence over which the eligible facility has no control. Such a determination by the commission shall not adversely affect the status of the eligible facility to conduct slot machine gaming. For the 2005 racing season, "eligible facility" shall also include the facility in St. Landry Parish that will not be able to meet such requirements due to repairs or construction to the racetrack which are necessary in order to protect the safety of riders and thoroughbred racehorses and to preserve the revenues to be received and distributed to the state and local governments at such facility or as otherwise provided in R.S. 4:214.1.
(4.1) "Emergency evacuation route" means those areas within the designated slot machine gaming area of a licensed eligible facility which are clearly defined and identified by the licensee as necessary and approved by the state fire marshal or other federal or state regulatory agency for the evacuation of patrons and employees from the facility, and from which and in which no gaming activity may occur.
(5) "License" means the authorization applied for by or issued to the owner of an eligible facility by the board to conduct slot machine gaming at an eligible facility issued pursuant to the provisions of this Chapter. "License" also means the authorization issued by the board to a slot machine owner, a manufacturer, distributor, or a service technician to participate in slot machine gaming operations at eligible facilities.
(6) "Licensee" means any person issued a license by the board.
(7) "Manufacturer" means any person who manufactures or assembles and programs slot machines for use in this state.
(8) "Net slot machine proceeds" means the total of all cash and property received by a licensee from slot machine gaming operations minus the amount of cash or prizes paid to winners.
(9) "Person" shall have the same meaning as that term defined in R.S. 27:3.
(10) "Service technician" means any person other than a licensee or manufacturer who repairs, services, inspects, or examines slot machines.
(11) Repealed by Acts 2001, No. 1222, §2, eff. July 2, 2001.
(12) "Slot machine gaming" means the use, operation, offering, or conducting of slot machines at an eligible facility in accordance with the provisions of this Chapter.
(13) "Taxable net slot machine proceeds" means "net slot machine proceeds" less the amount of support, payment, or contributions required as provided in R.S. 27:361(B)(4).
(14) "Slot machine" means any mechanical, electrical, or other device, contrivance, or machine which, upon insertion of a coin, token, or similar object therein or upon payment of any consideration whatsoever, is available to play or operate, the play or operation of which, whether by reason of the skill of the operator or application of the element of chance, or both, may deliver or entitle the person playing or operating the machine to receive cash, premiums, merchandise, tokens, or anything of value, whether the payoff is made automatically from the machine or in any other manner.
Acts 1997, No. 721, §1, eff. July 9, 1997; Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 142, §1, eff. May 5, 1998; Acts 2001, No. 1222, §§1 and 2, eff. July 2, 2001; Acts 2003, No. 350, §1; Acts 2003, No. 352, §1; Acts 2005, No. 181, §1, eff. June 28, 2005; Acts 2005, 1st. Ex. Sess., No. 54, §1, eff. Dec. 6, 2005.