2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 24 - Legislature and Laws
RS 24:51 - Definitions
When used in this Part:
(1) "Board" means the ethics body which has jurisdiction over elected officials under Chapter 15 of Title 42 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.
(2) "Expenditure" means the gift or payment of money or any thing of value for the purchase of food, drink, or refreshment for a legislator, for the spouse or minor child of a legislator, or for a public servant, other than a legislator, in the legislative branch of state government and any gift or payment as permitted by R.S. 42:1123(13) and (16) for the purpose of lobbying when the lobbyist or principal accounts, or would be expected to account, for the expenditure as an ordinary and necessary expense directly related to the active conduct of the lobbyist's, his employer's, or the principal's trade or business.
(3) "Legislation" means bills, resolutions, concurrent resolutions, joint resolutions, amendments, nominations, and other matters pending or proposed in either house of the legislature and includes any other matter which may be the subject of action by either house.
(4) "Lobbying" or "to lobby" means any of the following:
(a) Any direct act or communication with a legislator, the purpose of which is to aid in influencing the passage or defeat of any legislation.
(b) Any preparation or research specifically intended, at the time it is performed, for use in or in support of any ongoing or planned direct act or communication with a legislator, the purpose of which is to aid in influencing the passage or defeat of any legislation.
(c) Conducting or attending a meeting the purpose of which is to discuss direct communication with a legislator to aid in influencing the passage or defeat of any legislation.
(5)(a) "Lobbyist" means either of the following:
(i) Any person who is employed or engaged for compensation to act in a representative capacity for the purpose of lobbying if lobbying constitutes one of the principal duties of such employment or engagement.
(ii) Any person who acts in a representative capacity and makes an expenditure.
(b) However, "lobbyist" shall not mean any person who does not make any direct act or have any direct communication with a legislator for the purpose of influencing the passage or defeat of any legislation.
(6) "Person" includes an individual, partnership, committee, association, corporation, and any other organization or group of persons.
(7) "Public servant" shall have the same meaning as provided in R.S. 42:1102.
(8) "Principal duty" means any duty which is expected to account for twenty percent or more of a person's time in fulfilling the terms of his engagement or any duty which is expected to account for twenty percent or more of a person's time in any given year in performing the responsibilities of his employment.
Acts 1993, No. 965, §1, eff. Aug. 15, 1993; Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 64, §3, eff. July 1, 1996; Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 68, §1, eff. July 1, 1996; Acts 2004, No. 579, §1; Acts 2006, No. 368, §1, eff. June 15, 2006; Acts 2008, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 13, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009; Acts 2008, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 19, §1, eff. March 10, 2008; Acts 2008, No. 164, §1, eff. June 12, 2008, and §3, eff. Jan. 1, 2009; Acts 2008, No. 769, §1, eff. July 6, 2008.