2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 24 - Legislature and Laws
RS 24:38 - Legislative Budgetary Control Council; budgetary controls; legislature; legislative agencies; legislative committees; budget unit statements; fiscal notes
§38. Legislative Budgetary Control Council; budgetary controls; legislature; legislative agencies; legislative committees; budget unit statements; fiscal notes
A.(1) There is hereby created the Legislative Budgetary Control Council. The members shall be:
(a) The president of the Senate.
(b) The president pro tempore of the Senate.
(c) The speaker of the House of Representatives.
(d) The speaker pro tempore of the House of Representatives.
(e) The chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.
(f) The chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.
(g) The chairman of the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee.
(h) The chairman of the House and Governmental Affairs Committee.
(i) One member of the Senate and Governmental Affairs Committee appointed by the chairman thereof.
(j) One member of the House and Governmental Affairs Committee appointed by the chairman thereof.
(k) Ex officio, the clerk of the House and the secretary of the Senate, both of whom shall not have the right to vote.
(2) The president of the Senate and the speaker of the House of Representatives shall serve as co-chairmen of the council.
(3) The council shall meet as necessary in the performance of its duties hereinafter enumerated. A meeting may be called by the president of the Senate, or the speaker of the House of Representatives, individually, or by any three voting members of the council collectively.
(4) The voting members of the council shall receive the same per diem and travel allowance as is provided for members of the legislature during session, for attendance at meetings of the council. The per diem and travel allowance herein authorized shall be paid out of funds available to the presiding officers of the respective houses for the expenses of the legislature and committees.
B.(1) The Legislative Budgetary Control Council, upon formal approval by a majority vote of the members of both houses, shall establish rules and regulations to govern the expenditure of all funds appropriated to or otherwise allocated or made available to the House of Representatives and the Senate and the presiding officers thereof; to each legislative committee, whether created by rule, statute or otherwise; to the legislative auditor; to the Legislative Fiscal Office; and to any and all legislative employees, officers and service agencies.
(2) Such rules and regulations shall provide procedures for expenditures and disbursements of funds by any such bodies, agencies, committees or persons and for the administration, supervision and approval thereof and may include, but shall not necessarily be limited to, rules and regulations with respect to any of the following:
(a) Preparation and submission of budgetary requests.
(b) Review of budgetary requests.
(c) Approval of budgetary requests.
(d) Preparation and submission of financial statements and reports and requirements as to the contents thereof.
(e) Uniform accounting systems and procedures.
(f) Authorization and approval for expenditures.
(g) Procedures for withdrawal of funds for expenditures.
(h) Procedures for interpretation of items in appropriation laws.
(i) Authorization for transfer of funds.
(j) Deposit of funds.
(k) Purchasing procedures, including advertisement and letting of bids.
(l) Approval of contracts.
(m) Travel expenses.
(n) Use of facsimile signatures.
(o) Payment of compensation for overtime work.
(3) Upon approval by a majority vote of the members of both houses of such rules and regulations by the council each of the bodies, agencies, committees or persons designated in this Subsection shall be subject to and shall comply with such rules and regulations in expending or otherwise disbursing all funds available to them. After the approval of the rules and regulations by a majority vote of the members of both houses, the council may from time to time amend, repeal, add or otherwise alter such rules and regulations as may be subject to amendment, repeal or alteration and may add such rules and regulations as it may deem necessary provided that such additional rules and regulations shall not be in conflict with any rule or regulation which is not subject to amendment, repeal or alteration. In addition, the council shall have the authority to implement and carry out such rules and regulations after approval thereof.
C. The Legislative Budgetary Control Council may direct any budget unit of the state, including the Insurance Guaranty Association as established by R.S. 22:2056 et seq., to submit information relative to the financial requirements and receipts of said budget unit or the expenditures, services, equipment, personnel, or any other matter relating to the operations thereof to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget or to the Legislative Fiscal Office, or both, as specifically provided in R.S. 39:32 and 33.
D. The Legislative Budgetary Control Council is authorized to utilize the personnel and services of the legislative auditor and the legislative fiscal officer to provide for the preparation of fiscal notes for legislative instruments.
Added by Acts 1973, No. 203, §1. Amended by Acts 1974, No. 556, §1; Acts 1980, No. 296, §1; Acts 1988, No. 58, §1; Acts 1993, No. 397, §3, eff. June 8, 1993; Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 113, §1, eff. May 5, 1998; Acts 2001, No. 175, §1; Acts 2008, No. 415, §2, eff. Jan. 1, 2009.