2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:186.2 - Definitions
For the purposes of this Part, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Board" means the Louisiana Public Defender Board, or any successor to that board, which is authorized to regulate the providing of legal services to indigent persons in criminal proceedings in which the right to counsel attaches under the United States and Louisiana Constitutions. The board is also authorized to regulate the providing of representation to indigent parents as authorized by this Part.
(2) "Custody" means the legal custody of the office of juvenile justice, which follows on commitment by a Louisiana court exercising juvenile jurisdiction to the office of juvenile justice as provided in Titles VII and VIII of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(3) "District office" means the office of a district public defender.
(4) "District public defender", "chief indigent defender", or "chief public defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board to supervise service providers and enforce standards and guidelines within a judicial district or multiple judicial districts.
(5) "Indigent child representation" means the providing of legal services to indigent children committed to the custody of the office of juvenile justice pursuant to Title VII and Title VIII of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(6) "Office of juvenile justice" and "the office" means the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, youth services, office of juvenile justice.
(7) "Public defender" or "indigent defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board, the district public defender, or a nonprofit organization contracting with the board or the district public defender to provide representation as required by the provisions of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(8) "Safe Return Program" or "the program" means the Safe Return Representation Program administered pursuant to the Part.
Acts 2016, No. 617, §2.