2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:185.2 - Definitions
As used in this Part, the following words shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Board" means the Louisiana Public Defender Board, or any successor to that board, which is authorized to regulate the providing of legal services to indigent persons in criminal proceedings in which the right to counsel attaches under the United States and Louisiana constitutions. The board is also authorized to regulate the providing of representation to indigent parents as authorized by this Part.
(2) "Child abuse and neglect case" means a child protection proceeding conducted by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction involving the abuse or neglect of children as provided specifically in Titles VI, X, and XI, of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(3) "District office" means the office of a district public defender.
(4) "District public defender", "chief indigent defender", or "chief public defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board to supervise service providers and enforce standards and guidelines within a judicial district or multiple judicial districts.
(5) "Indigent Parents' Program" or "the program" means the Indigent Parents' Representation Program required by the Louisiana Children's Code and administered in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 15:185.1 through 185.9.
(6) "Indigent parent representation" means the providing of legal services to indigent or absent parents in child abuse and neglect cases as required by the provisions of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(7) "Public defender" or "indigent defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board, the district public defender, or a nonprofit organization contracting with the board or the district public defender to provide representation, including curatorship appointments, to indigent or absent parents in child abuse and neglect cases as required by the provisions of the Louisiana Children's Code.
(8) "Revenue" or "self-generated revenue" means all revenue received by a judicial district except revenue received as a result of grants, donations, or other forms of assistance when the terms and conditions thereof or of agreements pertaining thereto require otherwise.
(9) "Task Force on Legal Representation in Child Protection Cases" means the task force created by House Concurrent Resolution No. 44 of the 2003 Regular Session of the Legislature.
Acts 2007, No. 95, §2; Acts 2016, No. 407, §2, eff. June 5, 2016.