2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:153 - Deputy public defender-director of training; qualifications; duties
§153. Deputy public defender-director of training; qualifications; duties
A. The board shall employ a deputy public defender who shall act as the director of training who shall meet the following qualifications:
(1) Meet the qualifications provided for in R.S. 15:150(B).
(2) Be an attorney licensed to practice law in the United States with at least five years of experience as a criminal defense attorney and if licensed as an attorney in a state other than Louisiana, become licensed as an attorney in this state within one year of being employed by the board.
B. The director of training shall:
(1) Coordinate training of public defenders in current aspects of criminal and civil law and procedure involving public defense, including the representation of juveniles.
(2) Establish and supervise a training and performance evaluation program for attorneys and non-attorney staff members and contractors.
(3) Establish training and educational programs for all public defender attorneys. Such programs shall not be "continuing legal education" as mandated by the Louisiana State Bar Association. The training sponsored by the state program shall be practical training based on models in other states, including trial advocacy and criminal procedure in the nature of mock trials, working seminars, and mentoring. Such educational programs shall also include annual educational programs and introductory educational programs for attorneys prior to providing public defender services.
(4) Assist in the development and dissemination of standards and guidelines, procedures, and policies that will ensure that public defender services are provided consistently throughout the state.
(5) Consolidate information on important aspects of public defense and provide for a collection of official opinions, legal briefs, and other relevant information.
(6) Provide assistance with research or briefs and provide other technical assistance requested by a public defender providing public defender services.
(7) Apply for and assist in the disbursement of federal funds or other grant money to aid the statewide public defender program, provided that such gifts, grants, and donations are not otherwise prohibited by law or rule.
(8) Perform all other duties assigned by the state public defender or the board.
C. In developing training and educational programs, the director of training shall work in conjunction with the regional director, where applicable, or district public defender to develop a scheduling for training which will consider the daily responsibilities and obligations of attorneys providing public defender services, and minimize any disruption of the delivery of public defender services.
Acts 2007, No. 307, §1.