2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:143 - Definitions
As used in this Part, the following words have the following meanings:
(1) "Board" means the Louisiana Public Defender Board authorized to regulate public defender services.
(2) "Board office" means the headquarters of the board located in East Baton Rouge Parish.
(3) "District indigent defender fund" means the judicial district indigent defender fund as provided for in R.S. 15:168.
(4) "District office" means the office of a district public defender as provided for in R.S. 15:161.
(5) "District public defender" or "chief indigent defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board to supervise service providers and enforce standards and guidelines within a judicial district or multiple judicial districts.
(6) "Indigent defendant" means a person that has been determined under the provisions of R.S. 15:175 to be indigent and financially unable to retain private counsel.
(7) "Indigent defender services program" or "the program" means the activities directed toward the accomplishment of providing indigent defender services under the Louisiana Public Defender Act.
(8) "Public defender" or "indigent defender" means an attorney employed by or under contract with the board, the district public defender, regional director, where applicable, or nonprofit organization contracting with the board, district public defender, regional director, where applicable, or the board to provide legal counsel to an indigent person in a criminal proceeding.
(9) "Public defender services" or "indigent defender services" means the providing of legal services to indigent persons in criminal proceedings in which the right to counsel attaches under the United States and Louisiana constitutions.
(10) "Regional director" means the person in the employment of the board chosen to oversee and enforce standards and guidelines within a service region created by the board.
(11) "Regional office" means the office established for a service region as provided for in R.S. 15:159.
(12) "Revenue" or "self-generated revenue" means all revenue received by a judicial district including revenue received as a result of grants or donations or other forms of assistance.
(13) "Service region" means one of the public defender service regions created by the board as authorized in R.S. 15:159.
(14) "State Public Defender" means the person in the employment of the board chosen to administer the statewide public defender system for the delivery of public defender services.
Acts 2007, No. 307, §1; Acts 2008, No. 220, §6, eff. June 14, 2008.