2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1229 - Automated victim notification system
§1229. Automated victim notification system
A. There is hereby created within the Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement and Administration of Criminal Justice, hereinafter referred to as the "commission", an automated victim notification system, hereinafter referred to as the "system". The commission may appoint such employees, agents, consultants, and special committees as it may deem necessary to properly manage the system.
B. The system, by and through the commission, shall have the following functions, powers, and duties:
(1) To establish an automated victim notification system on offenders that automatically provides crime victims or their families with notice pursuant to R.S. 46:1841 et seq.
(2) To develop and implement a system whereby families may initiate inquiries to receive the latest status report on the offender charged or convicted in the crime against that person or his family member.
(3) To provide the information accessible to victims and their families through the system to be the same information that is required by R.S. 46:1844 to be available to victims and their families.
(4) To promulgate rules and regulations pursuant to the Administrative Procedure Act as are necessary to effectuate the provisions of this Section and R.S. 15:1229.1.
(5) To develop and implement a notification form for victims and their families to utilize the system.
(6) To provide information about the system.
(7) To make, solicit, and request proposals and offers, and to execute and effectuate agreements or contracts for the operation of any part of the system.
(8) To do all other things necessary or convenient to carry out the functions, powers, and duties set forth in this Section.
C. The automated victim notification system is provided as a service to victims of crime in Louisiana. The commission, or any unit of a local governing authority, or the state of Louisiana shall not be liable for the accuracy, timeliness, or completeness of the information contained in the system or the use of that information by any person.
D. The effect of this Section and R.S. 15:1229.1 shall be contingent upon receipt of adequate funding specifically covering the costs of the system and subject to the approval of the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget.
Acts 1999, No. 979, §1.