2018 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 15 - Criminal Procedure
RS 15:1196 - Project return post-release skills program
PART XVII. POST-RELEASE SKILLS PROGRAM
§1196. Project return post-release skills program
A. The Louisiana Workforce Commission may establish or contract with a service provider or community service organization to establish a comprehensive project return post-release skills program for offenders recently released from the custody of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections. The purpose of the program shall be to provide former offenders with the skills necessary to become productive citizens in the community and to address the range of issues that contribute to recidivism.
B. The goals and objectives of the program shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) To establish a post-release skills program designed to work with former offenders for a period of six months.
(2) To assist former offenders in community building with a focus on breaking the cycle of drugs, criminal behavior, and violence that prevents them from moving forward with their lives in the community and contributes to recidivism.
(3) To provide former offenders with employment skills and to assist them in finding internships while they are involved with the program, and permanent employment once they have completed the program.
(4) To employ former offenders who have successfully completed the program.
C. The services offered through the program shall include the following:
(1) Substance abuse counseling.
(2) Drug testing.
(3) GED test preparation and academic enhancement.
(4) Job preparation, job information services, and job placement assistance.
(5) Individual, group, and family counseling.
(6) Life skills classes.
(7) Computer skills classes.
(8) Referral to available government mental health and medical assistance agencies and programs.
(9) After-care services.
(10) Conflict resolution training.
(11) Anger management training.
(12) Such other services as the Louisiana Workforce Commission recommends and deems consistent with the goals of the program.
D. The Louisiana Workforce Commission, in conjunction with the Louisiana Department of Health, office of behavioral health, shall promulgate rules, regulations, and standards governing the creation of the project return post-release skills program. The rules, regulations, and standards shall be promulgated in accordance with the Administrative Procedure Act and shall include at a minimum the following:
(1) Procedures for monitoring of the program, including annual on-site surveys.
(2) Criteria for an application and acceptance process.
(3) Qualifications and training of staff.
E. The provisions of this Section shall be implemented to the extent that funds are appropriated for this purpose and to the extent that it is consistent with available resources.
Acts 2007, No. 176, §1; Acts 2008, No. 743, §7, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 384, §7, eff. July 1, 2010.