2017 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 51 - Trade and Commerce
RS 51:1941 - MOTOR VEHICLE WARRANTIES
CHAPTER 27. MOTOR VEHICLE WARRANTIES
The following definitions apply when used in this Chapter:
(1) "Collateral costs" means sales tax, license fees, and registration fees and any similar governmental charges.
(2) "Consumer" means:
(a) The purchaser, other than for purposes of resale, of a new motor vehicle normally used for personal, family, or household purposes and subject to a manufacturer's express warranty.
(b) A person, other than for purposes of resale, to whom a motor vehicle is transferred during the duration of an express warranty applicable to the motor vehicle.
(c) A person to whom a motor vehicle is leased.
(d) Any other person entitled to enforce the warranty.
(3) "Dealer" means a person authorized by the manufacturer and actively engaged in the business of buying, selling, or exchanging new automobiles, new personal watercraft, new all-terrain vehicles, or new motor homes at retail and who has an established place of business.
(4) "Manufacturer" means any person, firm, association, corporation, or trust, resident or nonresident, who manufactures or assembles new and unused motor vehicles.
(5) "Manufacturer's express warranty" and "warranty" mean the written warranty of the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle of its condition and fitness for use, including any terms or conditions precedent to the enforcement of an obligation under that warranty.
(6) "Motor vehicle" means a passenger motor vehicle or a passenger and commercial motor vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:1252(13), sold in this state on or after September 1, 1984. "Motor vehicle" shall include a personal watercraft as defined in R.S. 34:855.2 and an all-terrain vehicle as defined in R.S. 32:771(1), sold in this state or still under warranty on or after August 15, 1999, which is used exclusively for personal and not commercial purposes. "Motor vehicle" shall include the chassis and drive train of a motor home as defined in R.S. 32:1252(12), sold in this state or still under warranty on or after August 15, 1999, which is used exclusively for personal and not commercial purposes. For the purposes of this Chapter, the following motor vehicles are excluded:
(a) Motor vehicles, except for motor homes, 10,000 GVW or above.
(b) Motor vehicles used exclusively for commercial purposes.
(7) "Nonconformity" means any specific or generic defect or malfunction, or any defect or condition which substantially impairs the use, market value or both of a motor vehicle.
Acts 1984, No. 228, §1; Acts 1986, No. 553, §1; Acts 1999, No. 933, §1; Acts 1999, No. 1048, §1, eff. July 9, 1999.