2017 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:844 - Fees of ex officio recorders
§844. Fees of ex officio recorders
A.(1) Clerks of the district courts as ex officio recorders shall charge the following fees for filing and recording documents:
(a) For one to five page documents, one hundred dollars.
(b) For six to twenty-five page documents, two hundred dollars.
(c) For twenty-six to fifty page documents, three hundred dollars.
(d) For documents in excess of fifty pages, three hundred dollars for first fifty pages and five dollars for each subsequent page.
(e) For indexing of all documents filed for record for each name after the tenth name that is required to be indexed, five dollars per name.
(f) The above set forth fees shall be inclusive of the following:
(i) Indexing of all documents filed for record for up to ten names.
(ii) One certified copy of the recorded document or e-certification of document.
(g) Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, there shall be a fee of fifty dollars for the recordation of an act or affidavit to cancel a single mortgage, lien, or privilege.
(h) If a document is to be recorded and filed in both the mortgage and conveyance records, the fees provided in this Section shall be assessed separately for recording in the mortgage records and in the conveyance records.
(i) Documents to be recorded may be either on eight-and-one-half-inch-by-eleven-inch paper or on eight-and-one-half-inch-by-fourteen-inch paper and the recording fees set forth in this Section shall be the same regardless of which size paper is used. For any other size paper, there shall be an additional fee of twenty dollars per page.
(2) For notarizing acknowledgments of acts executed under private signature, with seal and certificate, ten dollars.
(3) For certificate of real estate mortgage and lien certificate with seal, for each name in which search is made, and for one definable property only, twenty dollars for the first name and ten dollars for each additional name. There shall be an additional charge of one dollar per exception in the event that more than ten exceptions are contained on a certificate.
(4) For canceling real estate mortgage, with original note, ten dollars.
(5) For making copies of all official documents, no more than two dollars per page.
(6) Except as provided in Item (1)(f)(ii) of this Subsection for attesting any record or copy thereof, ten dollars. For a file-stamped conformed copy, five dollars.
B.(1) As used in this Section, a "document" is defined as those pages presented together for filing or recording, inclusive of the act, together with exhibits, riders, or additional documents attached thereto, including but not limited to powers of attorney, property description exhibits, tax certificates and researches, mortgage certificates, resolutions, certificates, and surveys.
(2) Every document filed for recordation shall be captioned as to type of act on the first page, and shall have on the first page a margin of two inches at the top and one inch at the bottom and sides. The type size shall not be less than eight point.
C. In addition to the above charges, the clerks of court as ex officio notaries public may make a reasonable charge for drawing deeds, mortgages, chattel mortgages, liens, or other similar instruments.
Amended by Acts 1964, No. 398, §1; Acts 1974, No. 541, §1; Acts 1981, No. 360, §1; Acts 1982, No. 86, §1; Acts 1984, No. 438, §1; Acts 1985, No. 749, §1; Acts 1986, No. 317, §1; Acts 1986, No. 435, §1; Acts 1988, No. 920, §3, eff. July 26, 1988; Acts 1995, No. 994, §1; Acts 2001, No. 769, §§1 and 2; Acts 2017, No. 173, §2.