2017 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:5834 - Failure of constable to turn over property

Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 13:5834 (2017)

§5834. Failure of constable to turn over property

Each constable shall pay over or deliver to the parties entitled to the same, all money, bonds or obligations, which he holds in his official capacity, on the first demand; and in case of neglect or refusal to comply, the party aggrieved may proceed, by motion, against the constable and his sureties, of which reasonable notice shall be given; and if it appears that the constable has neglected or refused to pay over any funds or deliver any obligation in his possession to the party entitled to the same, without any legal cause, the judge shall render judgment in solido against the constable and his sureties.

Added by Acts 1978, No. 461, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1979; Redesignated from R.S. 33:1744 pursuant to Acts 2011, No. 248, §3.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.