2017 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:5554.3 - Plaquemines Parish; payment of group insurance premiums; retired sheriffs and deputy sheriffs; creation of fund
§5554.3. Plaquemines Parish; payment of group insurance premiums; retired sheriffs and deputy sheriffs; creation of fund
A. There is hereby created the Plaquemines Parish Retired Employees' Insurance Fund, hereinafter referred to as the "PREIF", to fund the payment by the sheriff's office of Plaquemines Parish of the premium costs for eligible retired sheriffs and retired deputy sheriffs as provided in R.S. 13:5554(N).
B. The sheriff of Plaquemines Parish may contribute to the PREIF at his discretion.
C. Upon recommendation of the board established in Subsection F of this Section, the sheriff of Plaquemines Parish shall invest the monies in the PREIF as follows:
(1) Not more than fifty percent in equities.
(2) At least fifty percent in fixed income investments, provided that not more than one-half of the investment in fixed income may be invested in corporate bonds.
D. The monies deposited pursuant to Subsection B of this Section and the monies invested pursuant to Subsection C of this Section and the accumulated earnings shall be available for the sheriff to withdraw for the purpose of paying the insurance costs, claims or premiums for retired sheriffs and retired deputy sheriffs of Plaquemines Parish.
E. Any financial audit conducted of the sheriff's office of Plaquemines Parish shall specifically address compliance with the provisions of this Section.
F. To provide recommendations concerning the investment of funds as provided in Subsection C of this Section, the sheriff shall establish an investment advisory board consisting of three members as follows:
(1) The sheriff.
(2) Two active deputy sheriffs of the department elected by the other active deputy sheriffs of the department. If more than two people qualify for the election, the two candidates receiving the highest number of votes cast shall be elected to the board.
(3) The sheriff shall use and provide all means necessary and proper to conduct the initial and subsequent elections. All expenses, including the printing of the ballots for the initial and subsequent elections, shall be borne by the sheriff and paid out of the sheriff's general fund.
(4) The members of the board shall elect a chairperson at its first board meeting which shall be held within thirty days after the election of board members. The board shall adopt rules governing the election of the members of the board. The election of board members shall be called and supervised by the board with the assistance of the sheriff.
(5) If a vacancy occurs on the board, within sixty days of the date the vacancy occurs, the board shall appoint a member to fill the vacancy for the unexpired term who is qualified to serve on the board as provided in Paragraph (2) of this Subsection. If a board member who is an active deputy sheriff elected pursuant to Paragraph (2) of this Subsection retires, he may continue to serve for the remainder of the term for which he was elected, if less than two years remain on his term; however, if more than two years remain on his term, the board shall appoint an active deputy sheriff to fill the remainder of that term.
(6) The members of the board shall be paid a per diem for each day of attendance at meetings of the board or on authorized business of the board. The board shall establish the per diem rates.
(7) The members of the board shall retain a financial advisor and legal counsel to provide recommendations and legal consultation concerning the investment of the funds. The board shall adopt rules governing their selection and compensation. The board may retain the sheriff's office in-house legal counsel.
(8) Members of the board shall serve terms concurrent with that of the sheriff.
(9) If the monies deposited pursuant to Subsection B of this Section and the monies invested pursuant to Subsection C of this Section fall below ten thousand dollars, the requirement for an investment advisory board, as provided in Subsection F of this Section, and a financial advisor and legal counsel, as provided in Paragraph (7) of this Subsection, will be extinguished.
G. Repealed by Acts 2017, No. 27, §2.
Acts 2010, No. 499, §1; Redesignated from R.S. 33:1448.3 pursuant to Acts 2011, No. 248, §3; Acts 2017, No. 27, §§1, 2.