2017 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:4251.102 - Definitions
In this Chapter:
(1) "Adult" means an individual who has attained eighteen years of age or who is an emancipated minor.
(2) "Conservator" means a person appointed by the court to administer the property of an adult, including a person appointed as a curator in a full interdiction; as a curator in a limited interdiction, but only insofar as the curator is given power over the care of some or all of the property of the interdict; or as a tutor in a continuing tutorship.
(3) "Guardian" means a person appointed by the court to make decisions regarding the person of an adult, including a person appointed as a curator in a full interdiction; as a curator in a limited interdiction, provided that, and only insofar as, the curator is given power over the care of some or all aspects of the person of the interdict; or as a tutor in a continuing tutorship.
(4) "Guardianship order" means an order appointing a guardian.
(5) "Guardianship proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which an order for the appointment of a guardian is sought or has been issued.
(6) "Incapacitated person" means an adult for whom a guardian has been appointed.
(7) "Party" means the respondent, petitioner, guardian, conservator, or any other person allowed by the court to participate in a guardianship or protective proceeding.
(8) "Person", except in the term incapacitated person or protected person, means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(9) "Protected person" means an adult for whom a protective order has been issued.
(10) "Protective order" means an order, issued by a court of another state pursuant to the law of that other state, appointing a conservator or relating to management of an adult's property.
(11) "Protective proceeding" means a judicial proceeding in which a protective order is sought or has been issued.
(12) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(13) "Respondent" means an adult for whom a protective order or the appointment of a guardian is sought.
(14) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, a federally recognized Indian tribe, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
Acts 2016, No. 333, §1.