2017 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:2583.7 - Deputies; oath; compensation; Caldwell Parish

§2583.7. Deputies; oath; compensation; Caldwell Parish

A. Each duly elected constable of a justice of the peace court in Caldwell Parish may appoint one deputy constable, if necessary, for whose acts the constable shall be responsible. Before entering upon his duties, the deputy shall take the oath required by the constitution and the laws of this state and meet the requirements of R.S. 40:2402 through 2406. A duplicate copy of the oath of office shall be filed with the office of the attorney general within seventy-two hours after being administered. Any deputy constable appointed pursuant to this Section shall not be entitled to any compensation from any local governing body or political subdivision, other than the constable's office, and shall not be entitled to any compensation from the state. Each constable may fix the compensation of his deputy. He may pay from the fees generated by his office any compensation due the deputy, the premiums on bonds required by him of a deputy in charge of public funds, insurance premiums, and any expenses necessary for the performance of duties required of the deputy. He may issue monthly or twice per month, at his discretion, to the deputy warrants or checks for the amounts due him.

B. Each deputy constable authorized by this Section shall have the same qualifications and training as required by law for a constable of a justice of the peace court. However, a deputy constable need not be a resident of the ward from which the constable is elected, but he must be a resident of Caldwell Parish.

C. The provisions of this Section shall have no effect on nor limit the authority of a justice of the peace to appoint a special deputy constable pursuant to R.S. 13:3477.

Acts 2014, No. 591, §1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.