2017 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 13 - Courts and Judicial Procedure
RS 13:2485.1 - The City Court of Leesville, Louisiana


§2485.1. The City Court of Leesville, Louisiana

The offices of justice of the peace and constable in Ward 1 of Vernon Parish, Louisiana, and the Mayor's Court in the town of Leesville, Louisiana are abolished, and there is hereby established a court to be styled "The City Court of Leesville, Louisiana", the territorial jurisdiction of which shall extend throughout Ward 1 of Vernon Parish, in which the town (or city) of Leesville, Louisiana, is located. This court shall be composed of a city judge, a city marshal, and a city clerk. The offices of city judge and city marshal shall be filled initially at an election to be called by the governor to be held on or before January 15, 1963; provided, that the parish executive committee shall meet and issue its call for the first primary for the nomination of candidates to be held on the same day as the congressional election in 1962 and shall, if necessary, call a second primary to be held on December 11, 1962. The officers elected in such election shall take office as soon thereafter as is permitted by law and shall serve until the congressional election in 1964. Their successors, elected in 1964 and thereafter, shall serve for terms of six years and shall be elected at the congressional election. If for any reason the election herein provided for is not called by the governor, then the initial judge and marshal shall be elected at the general state election to be held in 1964 and shall serve until their successors are elected at the congressional election in 1966, and the judge and marshal shall be elected at the congressional election every six years thereafter.

Acts 1962, No. 122, §1; Acts 1999, No. 259, §1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.