2016 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 14 - Criminal Law
RS 14:43.4 - Female genital mutilation
§43.4. Female genital mutilation
A. A person is guilty of female genital mutilation when any of the following occur:
(1) The person knowingly circumcises, excises, or infibulates the whole or any part of the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of a female minor.
(2) The parent, guardian, or other person legally responsible or charged with the care or custody of a female minor allows the circumcision, excision, or infibulation, in whole or in part, of such minor's labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris.
(3) The person knowingly removes or causes or permits the removal of a female minor from this state for the purpose of circumcising, excising, or infibulating, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, or clitoris of such female.
B. It shall not be a defense to prosecution for a violation of this Section that the conduct described in Subsection A of this Section is required as a matter of custom, ritual, or religious practice, or that the minor on whom it is performed, or the minor's parent or legal guardian, consented to the procedure.
C. If the action described in Subsection A of this Section is performed by a licensed physician during a surgical procedure, it shall not be a violation of this Section if either of the following is true:
(1) The procedure is necessary to the physical health of the minor on whom it is performed.
(2) The procedure is performed on a minor who is in labor or who has just given birth and is performed for medical purposes connected with that labor or birth.
D. Whoever commits the crime of female genital mutilation shall be punished by imprisonment, with or without hard labor, for not more than fifteen years.
Acts 2012, No. 207, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.