2015 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 51 - Trade and Commerce
RS 51:2232 - Definitions
As used in this Chapter:
(1) "Commission" means the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights.
(2) "Commissioner" means a member of the commission.
(3)(a) "Disability" means a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of the individual, a record of such impairment, or being regarded as having such an impairment. For purposes of all laws which incorporate by reference, apply to, or rely for meaning upon the term disability as defined herein, the terms used in this definition have the following meanings:
(i) "Physical impairment" means any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs, respiratory, including speech organs, cardiovascular, reproductive, digestive, genito-urinary, hemic and lymphatic, skin, and endocrine.
(ii) "Mental impairment" means any mental or psychological disorder, such as intellectual disability, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.
(iii) "Major life activities" includes functions such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.
(b) The following shall not be considered disabilities: homosexuality, bisexuality, transvestism, transexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders, compulsive gambling, kleptomania, pyromania, psychoactive substance use disorders resulting from current illegal use of drugs, or use of alcohol which adversely affects job performance or conduct.
(4) "Discriminatory practice in connection with employment" means an employment practice prohibited by Chapter 3-A of Title 23 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, or by R.S. 23:664.
(5) "Discriminatory practice in connection with public accommodations" means any direct or indirect act or practice of exclusion, distinction, restriction, segregation, limitation, refusal, denial, or any other act or practice of differentiation or preference in the treatment of a person or persons because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.
(6) "Hearing examiner" means one or more persons or commissioners designated by the commission to conduct a hearing. The commission shall have the sole power to determine qualifications of the examiner.
(7) "National origin" means the national origin of an ancestor.
(8) "Person" means one or more individuals, governments, governmental agencies, public authorities, labor organizations, corporations, legal representatives, partnerships, associations, trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers, mutual companies, joint stock companies, trusts, unincorporated organizations, or other organized groups of persons.
(9) "Place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement" means any place, store, or other establishment, either licensed or unlicensed, which supplies goods or services to the general public or which solicits or accepts the patronage or trade of the general public, or which is supported directly or indirectly by government funds. However, a bona fide private club is not a place of public accommodation, resort, or amusement if its policies are determined solely by its members and its facilities or services are available only to its members and their bona fide guests.
(10) "Unlawful practice" means a discriminatory practice in connection with employment, a discriminatory practice in connection with public accommodations, or any other practice prohibited by this Chapter or by Chapter 3-A of Title 23 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950.
Acts 1988, No. 886, 1; Acts 1993, No. 820, 9; Acts 1997, No. 1409, §§3, 4, eff. Aug. 1, 1997; Acts 2014, No. 702, §2; Acts 2014, No. 756, §1; Acts 2014, No. 811, §28, eff. June 23, 2014.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.