2015 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 33 - Municipalities and Parishes
RS 33:1 - Petition for incorporation; contents; circulation; required signatures
CHAPTER 1. CREATION, ORGANIZATION, ALTERATION,
PART I. ESTABLISHMENT AND DESIGNATION
SUBPART A. MUNICIPAL INCORPORATION
§1. Petition for incorporation; contents; circulation; required signatures
A. Residents of any unincorporated area with a population in excess of two hundred inhabitants may propose the incorporation of the area as provided in this Subpart. A petition proposing the incorporation of the area shall be prepared and shall contain the following:
(1) A legal description of the area proposed for incorporation and the statement that all lands included in the area constitute a contiguous area.
(2) A statement of the number of inhabitants residing in the unincorporated area. Such statement shall be based on the latest federal decennial census or another current population report or count which is verifiable.
(3) A statement of the assessed value of the real property located in the unincorporated area.
(4) A listing of the public services the municipal corporation proposes to render to the area and a plan for the provision of these services.
(5) A statement of the corporate name desired for the new municipality.
(6) The names of two or more chairpersons for the petition for incorporation who shall serve as agents for the petitioners in all legal matters, including the receipt of notices. Notice will be sufficient if served on any one of the chairpersons.
B.(1)(a) The signatures of twenty-five percent of the electors residing in the area proposed for incorporation shall be required in order to file the petition as provided in R.S. 33:2(A).
(b) All electors, whether or not they own land, shall be eligible to sign the petition.
(c) The signatures of the electors must reasonably correspond with their signatures on file in the office of the registrar of voters.
(d) More than one copy of the petition may be circulated and signatures of electors on any copy of the petition shall be counted as part of the required twenty-five percent.
(2) Any elector may withdraw his name from the petition by filing a signed statement of withdrawal with the registrar of voters at any time before the registrar of voters certifies that twenty-five percent of the electors residing in the area proposed for incorporation have signed the petition as provided by R.S. 33:2(C).
Acts 1984, No. 536, §1, eff. Sept. 1, 1984; Acts 1999, No. 425, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.