2015 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 3 - Agriculture and Forestry
RS 3:2465 - Operating procedures
§2465. Operating procedures
A. Separation of animals:
(1) Dogs shall be separated from cats.
(2) Sick animals shall be separated from healthy animals.
(3) Puppies and kittens must be separated from adult animals unless nursing.
(4) Unneutered males shall be separated from females.
(5) Injured animals shall be separated from uninjured animals.
(6) Animals involved in bite or scratch cases shall be separated from all other animals with a maximum of one such animal per cage.
(7) Nursing mothers with litter shall be separated from all other animals.
B. Animal care:
(1) All dogs over three months of age shall be fed at least once daily; providing at least one-half pound of food per twenty-five pounds of bodyweight per dog. All dogs under three months shall have appropriate dry food available at all times or be fed a minimum of three times per day.
(2) All kittens and adult cats shall have appropriate dry or semi-moist food available at all times.
(3) Clean, fresh water shall be available at all times for all animals.
(4) Animals other than dogs and cats shall be fed and watered as required by the species.
(5) Each animal shall be observed daily for sickness, disease, injury, abnormal behavior, external parasites, or lameness by the animal caretaker in charge, or by someone under his direct supervision.
(6) Any ill or injured animal shall be isolated and made as comfortable as possible until veterinary care is obtained or the animal is euthanized if in legal compliance.
(7) Any dead animals shall be removed from kennel area and immediately and properly disposed of.
(8) The following procedures shall be performed daily:
(a) Isolate animals prior to cleaning so that no animal is exposed to water and/or disinfectant while cleaning.
(b) Pick up droppings and dispose of properly.
(c) Disinfect floor and wash down animal holding areas with water under pressure.
(d) All standing water shall be removed before returning animals.
(e) Provide fresh food and water.
(f) Clean cat litter boxes (replace cat litter at least weekly).
(g) Clean gutters and check drains.
(h) Clean aisles, floors, sinks, and kitchen.
(i) Clean inside area of debris, trash, and dirt.
(j) Shelter grounds shall be kept mowed and free of standing water, trash, and debris.
(k) Clean beds and resting boards.
(l) Wash food and water dishes with hot soapy water and cleanse with water to remove disinfectant or soap.
(1) Euthanasia methods and procedures must conform with recommendations outlined in the report of the American Veterinary Medical Association on Euthanasia, dated July 1, 1978, or as revised except as provided in Paragraphs (2) and (3) of this Subsection.
(2) Euthanasia by carbon monoxide gas chambers on cats and dogs shall be prohibited beginning on January 1, 2013 and thereafter.
(3) Euthanasia by intracardiac injection on cats and dogs shall be prohibited unless the animal is unconscious or rendered completely unconscious and insensitive to pain through the injection of an anesthetic.
(4) Euthanasia personnel shall attend the Humane Society of the United States Academy on Euthanasia or an equivalent program within one year of date of employment.
(1) A record shall be prepared for every animal that enters the shelter and shall include description of animal; veterinary treatment; length of time held; fees collected; and date euthanized, died, reclaimed, or adopted.
(2) Daily receipts for donations, animal impoundment fees, and adoptions shall be permanently recorded and filed.
(3) Records shall be available for inspection at all times.
Acts 1985, No. 806, §1, eff. July 22, 1985; Acts 2010, No. 764, §1, eff. June 30, 2010.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.