2014 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 12 - Corporations and Associations
RS 12:1308 - Registered office and registered agent
§1308. Registered office and registered agent
A. Each limited liability company shall continuously maintain:
(1) A registered office in this state.
(2) At least one registered agent who shall be one of the following:
(a) A citizen of the state who resides in this state.
(b) A partnership or professional law corporation, which is authorized to practice law in this state, or a domestic corporation, domestic limited liability company, or foreign corporation authorized to transact business in this state, which is authorized by its articles or certificate of incorporation to act as the agent of a limited liability company for service of process and which has on file with the secretary of state a certificate setting forth the name of at least two individuals at its address in this state, each of whom is authorized to receive any process served upon it as such agent. Legal process and other notices or demands may be served on the limited liability company by service upon this agent and, if the agent is a partnership, upon any partner.
B. The location and post office address of the original registered office and the full name and post office address of the original registered agent shall be stated in the initial report as provided in R.S. 12:1305(E).
C.(1) After organization, a limited liability company may change its registered agent or registered office by filing for record with the secretary of state a statement authorizing the designation or change signed by a manager of the limited liability company, if management of the limited liability company is vested in one or more managers pursuant to R.S. 12:1312, or by at least one member, if management of the limited liability company is reserved to the members. Any change of registered agent shall be accompanied by a notarized affidavit of acknowledgment and acceptance signed by the new registered agent.
(2) A limited liability company may change the address of its registered agent by filing for record with the secretary of state a statement of the change signed by a manager of the limited liability company, if management of the limited liability company is vested in one or more managers pursuant to R.S. 12:1312, or by at least one member, if management of the limited liability company is reserved to the members.
(3) A change of a registered office or registered agent or address of the registered agent for a limited liability company under this Subsection shall be effective when the secretary of state accepts the statement for record.
D.(1) A registered agent may change his address in this state by filing for record with the secretary of state a statement of the change signed by him or on his behalf.
(2) The statement shall include the name of the limited liability company for which the change is effective and the new address of the registered agent.
(3) If the old and new addresses of the registered agent are the same as the old and new addresses of the registered office of the limited liability company, the statement may include a change of address of the registered office if:
(a) The registered agent notifies the limited liability company in writing.
(b) The statement recites that the registered agent has done so.
(4) The change of address of the registered agent or registered office is effective when the secretary of state accepts the statement for record.
E.(1) A registered agent may resign but such resignation shall be effective only by providing written notice to the limited liability company and the secretary of state. If the registered agent resigns, or for any other reason the limited liability company ceases to maintain a registered agent, a successor agent shall be appointed pursuant to Paragraph (C)(1) of this Section and the successor agent's address shall be filed pursuant to Paragraph (C)(2) of this Section, within thirty days of the resignation or other event which terminated the tenure of the former agent. Upon compliance with the provisions of this Section, the successor agent shall be vested with the powers of the agent succeeded.
(2) Repealed by Acts 2003, No. 367, §2.
F. The designation of a registered office shall remain effective until a change is made therein and notice of the change is filed in the manner hereinabove provided. However, if no statement of change is filed within thirty days after the registered office has been vacated, the office of the secretary of state may thereafter be treated as the registered office by any person other than the limited liability company itself. The registered office shall be considered the domicile of the limited liability company for all purposes.
Acts 1992, No. 780, §2, eff. July 7, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 475, §4, eff. June 9, 1993; Acts 2003, No. 367, §§1 and 2; Acts 2004, No. 543, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.