2013 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 18 - Louisiana Election Code
RS 18:18 - Secretary of state; powers and duties
CHAPTER 2. STATE ADMINISTRATION
PART I. SECRETARY OF STATE; REGISTRATION;
§18. Secretary of state; powers and duties
A. The secretary of state shall administer the laws relating to custody of voting machines and voter registration, and for the purpose he shall:
(1) Subject to applicable civil service laws and applicable provisions of this Title, employ and fix the salaries and duties of necessary staff to carry out such functions.
(2) Direct and assist the registrars of voters of the state with respect to matters pertaining to the registration of voters as provided by law.
(3) Prescribe uniform rules, regulations, forms, and instructions, which shall be approved by the attorney general and thereafter shall be applied uniformly by each registrar of voters in the state. These rules, regulations, forms, and instructions shall include but not necessarily be restricted to forms of applications for registration, records, affidavits and statements, documents, and general procedures to be used by the registrars of voters, none of which shall be inconsistent with the constitution and laws of the United States or of this state.
(4) Be responsible for obtaining statistics and data relating to the registration of voters from the registrars throughout the state and for the compilation of such statistics and data in an annual report which shall be submitted to the Legislature of Louisiana not later than the first day of each regular session.
(5) Perform such other functions and duties and exercise such other powers as are conferred upon him by this Title.
(6) Coordinate the responsibilities of this state under the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (P.L. 103-31) as required by 42 U.S.C. Section 1973gg-8.
(7) Prescribe uniform rules, regulations, forms, and instructions as to the use of electronic voting machines, as defined by R.S. 18:1351(12)(b), in the conduct of early voting, which shall be approved by the attorney general and thereafter shall be applied uniformly by each registrar of voters in the state.
(8)(a) Prescribe uniform rules, regulations, forms, and instructions as to standards for effective nonpartisan voter education, which shall be approved by the attorney general and thereafter shall be implemented uniformly by each registrar of voters in the state. In developing the standards, the secretary of state shall review current voter education programs within the state. The standards shall address but shall not be limited to voter education concerning voter registration, balloting procedures for voting absentee by mail, during early voting, and at the polling places, distribution of sample ballots, and effective voter education methods, including the use of public service announcements and other public awareness methods. By December fifteenth of each general election year, each registrar of voters shall report to the secretary of state a detailed description of the voter education programs implemented in his parish. The secretary of state, upon receipt of such information, shall prepare a report on the effectiveness of voter education programs and shall submit the report to the governor, the president of the Senate, and the speaker of the House of Representatives by January thirty-first of each year following a general election.
(b) Develop activities, events, informational posters and pamphlets, and public service announcements for the implementation of an annual voter registration week and generally be responsible for implementation of such week. It is the policy of the state of Louisiana to encourage full participation in voting by all citizens of this state. To this end, in odd-numbered years, the official state voter registration week shall be the last full week which occurs two weeks prior to the close of registration records for the regular fall primary election. In even-numbered years, the official state voter registration week shall be the second full week in May.
(9) Provide for the voluntary registration of individuals or entities that conduct voter registration drives in the state of Louisiana.
B. The commissioner of elections shall be appointed by the secretary of state subject to Senate confirmation. He shall serve at the pleasure of the secretary of state at a salary fixed by the secretary of state, which salary shall not exceed the amount approved for such position by the legislature while in session. The commissioner of elections shall have the same qualifications as required for statewide elected officials. He shall have such responsibilities and perform such duties as shall be prescribed by the secretary of state.
C. The department of state shall be responsible for assistance to registrars, administration of rules and regulations of the secretary of state relating to the registration of voters, and matters pertaining to the reporting, compilation, and dissemination of registration statistics and information.
D. The secretary of state may enter into cooperative agreements with other states to share voter registration information for purposes of determining whether a voter is registered in more than one state.
Acts 1976, No. 697, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1978. Amended by Acts 1977, No. 523, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1978; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 10, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995; Acts 2001, No. 451, §1, eff. Jan. 12, 2004; Acts 2001, No. 1181, §1, eff. Jan. 1, 2002; Acts 2003, No. 286, §1, eff. Jan. 12, 2004; Acts 2004, No. 526, §2, eff. June 25, 2004; Acts 2005, No. 220, §§1, 4, eff. Jan. 1, 2006; Acts 2006, No. 403, §1, eff. June 15, 2006; Acts 2008, No. 136, §2, eff. Jan. 1, 2009; Acts 2013, No. 383, §3, eff. Jan. 1, 2014.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.