2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 46 — Public welfare and assistance
RS 46:2602 — Children's cabinet; creation; purpose
§2602. Children's Cabinet; creation; purpose
A. The Children's Cabinet, hereafter referred to as the "cabinet", is hereby created as a state agency within the office of the governor. The governor shall select an executive director and the cabinet shall be funded through equal interagency transfers from the entities represented in Paragraphs (B)(1) through (5) of this Section at a level to be determined annually by the commissioner of administration. In addition, the cabinet may accept and expend grants and private donations to assist the cabinet to carry out its functions. The purpose of the cabinet shall be to facilitate and require coordination of policy, planning, and budgeting affecting programs and services for children and their families; to coordinate delivery of services to children and their families; and to eliminate duplication of services where appropriate. The cabinet shall carry out its functions in order to assure the most efficient and effective use of resources, particularly through programs for intervention and prevention and through services that assist and support children to remain in their homes and communities.
B. The cabinet shall be composed of the following members:
(1) The secretary of the Department of Children and Family Services.
(2) The secretary of the Department of Health and Hospitals.
(3) The deputy secretary for youth services of the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.
(4) The executive director of the Louisiana Workforce Commission.
(5) The state superintendent of education.
(6) The commissioner of administration.
(7) The executive director of the cabinet, to be determined by the governor, who shall serve as chairperson.
(8) A member of the House of Representatives appointed by the speaker of the House of Representatives.
(9) A member of the Senate appointed by the president of the Senate.
(10) A representative of the Children's Cabinet Advisory Board as selected by its members.
(11) A member of the Louisiana Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges appointed by the chief justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court.
(12) A member of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education appointed by its president.
(13) The secretary of the Department of Economic Development.
C. Members shall serve during their tenure in the offices listed in Subsection B. All members shall serve without additional compensation.
D-F. Repealed by Acts 2008, No. 780, §2.
Acts 1992, No. 971, §2; Acts 1995, No. 1232, §1; Acts 1997, No. 883, §1, eff. July 10, 1997; Acts 1997, No. 1172, §7, eff. June 30, 1997; Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 5, §§2, 3, eff. April 24, 1998; Acts 2003, No. 245, §1, eff. July 5, 2003; Acts 2004, No. 7, §4, eff. May 5, 2004; Acts 2008, No. 743, §7, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2008, No. 780, §§1, 2.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.