2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 46 — Public welfare and assistance
RS 46:2351 — Creation; membership; terms; compensation
CHAPTER 32. THE LOUISIANA COMMISSION FOR THE DEAF
§2351. Creation; membership; terms; compensation
A. The Louisiana Commission for the Deaf, hereinafter referred to as "the commission", is hereby created and established within the Department of Health and Hospitals. The commission shall consist of seventeen members as follows:
(1) The coordinator of vocational rehabilitation services to the deaf or his designee.
(2) The president of the Louisiana Association of the Deaf or his designee.
(3) The president of the Louisiana Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf or his designee.
(4) The superintendent of the Louisiana School for the Deaf or his designee.
(5) The secretary of the Department of Children and Family Services or his designee.
(6) The superintendent of education, or his designee.
(7) The executive director of the Louisiana Workforce Commission, or his designee.
(8) The speaker of the House of Representatives, or his designee.
(9) The president of the Senate, or his designee.
(10) The secretary of the Department of Health and Hospitals or his designee.
(11) In addition, the governor shall appoint seven lay members to the commission, two of whom shall be deaf persons, one of whom shall be hard of hearing, two of whom shall be parents of deaf persons, and two of whom shall be professionals who work with deaf persons. Each appointment by the governor shall be subject to Senate confirmation.
B. All appointments shall be made for four years, except that if a vacancy occurs, the appointment shall be made only for the length of the unexpired term.
C. The commission shall meet and organize immediately after members are appointed and shall elect from its membership a chairman, who shall serve for two years, and such other officers as it deems necessary. The commission may establish rules and regulations for its own procedure and for the administration of the affairs of the commission. The commission shall meet at least once in each quarter of the fiscal year and may meet more often as shall be deemed necessary by the chairman.
D. Members of the commission shall receive no salary for their services, but shall be reimbursed for actual travel and other expenses incurred in the performance of their duties in accordance with travel regulations of the division of administration. Officers of the commission shall be reimbursed for necessary and other expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.
E. Upon request of the commission, the directors of the following agencies shall make themselves available for consultation and shall provide information regarding the services available to the deaf through their respective agencies:
(1) The office of behavioral health and substance abuse.
(2) The office of family security.
(3) The office for citizens with developmental disabilities.
(4) The office of elderly affairs.
(5) The office of health services and environmental quality.
(6) The division of evaluation and services.
Additionally, the commission shall have authority to request consultation or information, or both, from any other state department or agency serving deaf persons.
Added by Acts 1980, No. 629, §2; Acts 1992, No. 447, §4, eff. June 20, 1992; Acts 1993, No. 542, §1; Acts 1993, No. 712, §4, eff. June 21, 1993; Acts 1995, No. 924, §1; Acts 2008, No. 743, §7, eff. July 1, 2008; Acts 2009, No. 384, §5, eff. July 1, 2010; Acts 2010, No. 877, §3, eff. July 1, 2010; Acts 2010, No. 939, §8, eff. July 1, 2010.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.