2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 42 — Public officers and employees
RS 42:1130.2 — Definitions
For purposes of this Part, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) "Candidate" means a person who seeks nomination or election to public office. An individual shall be deemed to seek nomination or election to public office if he has done any of the following:
(a) Since prior participation in an election, if any, received and accepted a contribution or made an expenditure, or has given his consent for any other person or committee to receive a contribution or make an expenditure with a view to influencing his nomination or election to public office whether or not the specific public office for which he will be a candidate is known at the time the contribution is received or the expenditure is made.
(b) Taken the action necessary under the laws of the state of Louisiana to qualify himself for nomination or election to public office.
(2) "Contribution" shall have the meaning provided in R.S. 18:1483(6), except that "public office" as used therein shall have the meaning provided in this Section.
(3) "Election" shall have the meaning provided in R.S. 18:1483(8).
(4) "Expenditure" shall have the meaning provided in R.S. 18:1483(9), except that "public office" as used therein shall have the meaning provided in this Section.
(5) "Public office" shall mean any state, parish, municipal, ward, district, or other office or position, including a federal office, which is filled by election of the voters of the appropriate electorate, except the office of president or vice president of the United States, presidential elector, delegate to a political party convention, or political party office.
Acts 2008, No. 812, §1, eff. July 7, 2008.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.