2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 40 — Public health and safety
RS 40:2175.3 — Definitions
For purposes of this Part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Abortion" means any surgical procedure performed after pregnancy has been medically verified with the intent to cause the termination of the pregnancy other than for the purpose of producing a live birth, removing an ectopic pregnancy, or removing a dead fetus caused by a spontaneous abortion.
(2) "First trimester" means the time period from six to fourteen weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.
(3) "Licensee" means the person, partnership, corporation, association, organization, or professional entity on whom rests the ultimate responsibility and authority for the conduct of the outpatient abortion facility.
(4) "Licensing agency" means the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.
(5) "Outpatient abortion facility" means any outpatient facility, other than a hospital as defined in R.S. 40:2102 or an ambulatory surgical center as defined in R.S. 40:2133, in which any second trimester or five or more first trimester abortions per month are performed.
(6) "Second trimester" means the time period from fourteen to twenty-three weeks after the first day of the last menstrual period.
(7) "Secretary" means the secretary of the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals.
Acts 2001, No. 391, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.