2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 39 — Public finance
RS 39:97.3 — Louisiana asbestos detection and abatement fund
§97.3. Louisiana Asbestos Detection and Abatement Fund
A. There is hereby created in the state treasury a special fund to be known as the Louisiana Asbestos Detection and Abatement Fund, hereinafter referred to as the "asbestos fund".
B. After compliance with the requirements of Article VII, Section 9(B) of the Constitution of Louisiana relative to the Bond Security and Redemption Fund, and prior to monies being placed in the state general fund, an amount equal to the total amount recovered or received pursuant to any of the methods described in Subsection C of this Section shall be credited to the asbestos fund. The monies in the asbestos fund shall be used solely as provided by this Section. All unexpended and unencumbered monies in the asbestos fund at the end of the fiscal year shall remain in the fund. The monies in the asbestos fund shall be invested by the state treasurer in the same manner as monies in the state general fund, and interest earned on the investment of these monies shall be credited to the asbestos fund following compliance with the requirements of Article VII, Section 9(B) of the Constitution of Louisiana relative to the Bond Security and Redemption Fund.
C. The following funds shall be credited to the asbestos fund as provided in Subsection B:
(1) All monies received from any judgment, settlement, assessment of civil or criminal penalty, or otherwise collected as a result of a case or cause of action against a manufacturer of asbestos-containing materials or any other responsible person brought to recover monies expended or anticipated to be expended or damages incurred in connection with the detection, analysis, control, management, maintenance, and abatement of asbestos-containing materials in any state building.
(2) All funds designated to the asbestos fund and received by donation, grant, gift, or otherwise from any source.
(3) All funds appropriated specifically to the asbestos fund by the legislature.
(4) Any grants or allocations made to the state from the United States government for the purposes of investigation, analysis, containment, management, maintenance, or abatement of asbestos-containing materials from state buildings.
(5) Any other allocations made directly to the asbestos fund.
D. The office of facility planning and control within the division of administration in the office of the governor shall administer the asbestos fund and shall utilize monies appropriated from the fund by the legislature for necessary and appropriate expenditures in the detection and abatement of asbestos-containing materials in state buildings. No monies shall be expended until the commissioner has received sufficient proof of services rendered and materials or equipment used or expended or to be used or expended. For the design and management of remedial actions, including abatement of state buildings, the office of facility planning and control shall select appropriate actions to be taken based on cost effectiveness and compliance with applicable law.
E. The monies in the asbestos fund shall be appropriated by the legislature and shall be used solely for the following purposes:
(1) Detection, analysis, containment, control, management, maintenance, removal, and abatement of asbestos in state buildings.
(2) Securing services for the design and management of all statewide programs created under this Subpart to detect and abate asbestos from state buildings.
(3) Any remedial action accompanying the abatement of state buildings.
(4) Maintenance, removal, repair, renovation, modification, demolition, or construction of state buildings in connection with the abatement of state buildings.
(5) Reimbursement to the state general fund of any fees, costs, and expenses incurred in recovering monies deposited in this fund.
(6) Repair, renovation, modification, demolition, or construction related to correction of life safety code violations in state buildings or related to modifications necessary for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
F. The commissioner of administration shall report each quarter to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget on the specific projects for which monies appropriated from the fund have been used.
G. The commissioner of administration shall report to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget by the first of March of each year the amount in the asbestos fund.
H. Unless extended by the legislature on or before August 15, 2001, no monies may be deposited into the fund and all unencumbered balances in the fund shall be deposited in the state general fund on that date. All encumbered monies in the fund upon that date shall remain to the credit of the fund and shall be available for liquidation of such obligations. Upon liquidation of all obligations and expenditure of monies in the fund, the fund shall be abolished.
Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 140, §1, eff. May 5, 1998; Acts 1999, No. 376, §1, eff. July 1, 1999.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.