2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 39 — Public finance
RS 39:33.1 — Determination of expenditure limit
§33.1. Determination of expenditure limit
A. The commissioner of administration shall submit a calculation for the expenditure limit for the ensuing fiscal year to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget no later than thirty-five days prior to each regular session.
B.(1) The expenditure limit for the ensuing fiscal year shall be the expenditure limit for the current fiscal year plus an amount equal to that limit times the growth factor if the growth factor is positive.
(2) The growth factor is defined as the average annual percentage rate of change of personal income for Louisiana as defined and reported by the United States Department of Commerce, or its successor agency, for the three calendar years prior to the fiscal year for which the limit is calculated.
(3) The figures used for the calculation of the growth factor shall be those actual or estimated figures most recently reported by the United States Department of Commerce at the time the expenditure limit is submitted to the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget.
(4) The annual percentage rate of change of personal income for the calendar year immediately preceding the fiscal year for which the expenditure limit is calculated shall be derived by:
(a) Computing the simple average of the available quarterly total personal income estimates for that calendar year.
(b) Dividing that result by the reported annual estimate of total personal income for the calendar year that is two years prior to the fiscal year for which the limit is calculated.
(c) Subtracting 1.0 from the result obtained in Subparagraph (b) of this Paragraph.
C. After review by the Joint Legislative Committee on the Budget, or its designated staff, the commissioner of administration shall determine the state general fund and designated funds to include in the calculation of the expenditure limit in accordance with Subsection D of this Section.
D. For purposes of this Section and Article VII, Section 10(C) of the Constitution of Louisiana, "the state general fund and dedicated funds" means all money required to be deposited in the state treasury, except that money the origin of which is:
(1) The federal government.
(2) Self-generated collections by any entity subject to the policy and management authority established by Article VIII, Sections 5 through 7 of the Constitution of Louisiana.
(3) A transfer from another state agency, board, or commission.
E. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to or affect funds allocated by Article VII, Section 4, Paragraphs (D) and (E) of the Constitution of Louisiana.
Acts 1997, No. 1149, §1, eff. June 1, 1997; Acts 2008, No. 734, §1, eff. July 6, 2008.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.