2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 39 — Public finance
RS 39:31 — Strategic planning
§31. Strategic planning
A.(1) Each department of state government and each agency therein shall engage in the process of strategic planning and shall produce a strategic plan to be used to guide its ongoing and proposed activities for the next five years.
(2) For higher education systems, institutions, or agencies, the requirements of this Section may be incorporated into the master plan for higher education required by Article VIII, Section 5(D)(4) of the Constitution of Louisiana.
(3) In the process of strategic planning as provided herein, each department of state government and each agency therein shall incorporate in its strategic plan, to the maximum extent practicable, components of the State Master Plan for Economic Development as provided in R.S. 51:2380 applicable to that department or agency and shall clearly delineate those components in its strategic plan.
B. Initial strategic plans shall be completed no later than July 1, 1998. Thereafter, all plans shall be revised and updated at least every three years. The commissioner of administration shall provide a schedule and other guidance for the timely preparation, revision, and submission of strategic plans. The plans shall be prepared in the manner prescribed by the commissioner of administration, shall be accompanied by such other information as he may require, and shall be submitted to the commissioner of administration and to the standing committee of each house of the legislature having responsibility for oversight of the department or agency as provided in R.S. 49:968.
C. Each strategic plan shall, at a minimum, contain the following:
(1) A mission statement, which shall provide a broad, comprehensive statement of purpose for the entity.
(2) A statement of the goals that reflect the benefits the entity expects to achieve on behalf of the public or specific groups.
(3) A brief statement identifying the principal clients and users of each program and the specific service or benefit derived by such persons.
(4) A statement of objectives relative to each program which the entity expects to achieve in attaining its goals.
(5) An identification of potential external factors which are beyond the control of the entity and which could significantly affect the achievement of its goals or objectives.
(6) A statement of each strategy that the entity shall use in achieving each stated goal and objective.
(7) An explanation of how duplication of effort shall be avoided when the operations of more than one program are directed at achieving a single goal, objective, or strategy.
(8) Specific and measurable performance indicators for each objective which shall, at a minimum, include an indicator of outcome, efficiency, or quality, as well as indicators of input and output, as necessary and relevant.
(9) A statement of the agency's strategies for development and implementation of human resource policies which are helpful and beneficial to women and families.
D. Each strategic plan shall include, where applicable, the statutory requirement or other authority for each goal of the plan, a description of any program evaluations used to develop objectives and strategies, and identification of the primary persons who will benefit from or be significantly affected by each objective within the plan.
E. Each agency shall submit documentation to the division of administration as to the validity, reliability, and appropriateness of each performance indicator, as well as the method used to verify and validate the performance indicators as relevant measures of each program's performance. Additionally, each agency shall indicate how each performance indicator is used in management decisionmaking and other agency processes.
F.(1) Each agency shall refer to its strategic plan in the construction of its annual operational plan for budget development purposes in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 39:32(I). The operational plans shall be considered by the commissioner of administration in the preparation of the executive budget and supporting document. However, any information taken from an agency's strategic plan or operational plan for inclusion in the executive budget or supporting document shall be included at the discretion of the commissioner of administration.
(2) In addition to the requirements of Paragraph (1) of this Subsection, each agency shall incorporate the following elements into its operational plan, to the maximum extent practicable:
(a) A clear delineation of the components of the annual Economic Development Action Plan developed in accordance with the provisions of R.S. 51:2381 which are applicable to the agency.
(b) A statement of the agency's strategies for development and implementation of human resource policies which are helpful and beneficial to women and families.
Acts 1997, No. 1465, §2, eff. July 15, 1997; Acts 1998, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 49, §1, eff. July 1, 1998; Acts 1999, No. 1036, §1, eff. July 1, 1999; Acts 1999, No. 1169, §2; Acts 2003, No. 1078, §1, eff. July 1, 2003.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.