2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 39 — Public finance
RS 39:2153 — Definitions
As used in this Chapter, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Claim" includes any request or demand, including any and all documents or information required by federal or state law or by rule, made against hurricane relief program funds for payment. Each claim may be treated as a separate claim or several claims may be combined to form one claim.
(2) "False or fraudulent claim" means a claim which a person submits knowing the claim to be false, fictitious, untrue, or misleading in regard to any material information. "False or fraudulent claim" shall include a claim which is part of a pattern of incorrect submissions in regard to material information or which is otherwise part of a pattern in violation of applicable federal or state law or rule.
(3) "Hurricane relief programs" means any state or federal program or fund created for the purpose of assisting persons who incurred personal, business, or property damage or other losses due to Hurricane Katrina or Hurricane Rita.
(4) "Knowing" or "knowingly" means that the person has actual knowledge of the information or acts in deliberate ignorance or reckless disregard of the truth or falsity of the information.
(5) "Misrepresentation" means the knowing failure to truthfully or fully disclose any and all information required, or the concealment of any and all information required on a claim or a provider agreement or the making of a false or misleading statement to any local, state, or federal agency for the purpose of obtaining funds, property, use of property, or other compensation from hurricane relief programs.
(6) "Property" means any and all property, movable and immovable, corporeal and incorporeal.
(7) "Recovery" means the recovery of overpayments, damages, fines, penalties, costs, expenses, restitution, attorney fees, interest, or settlement amounts.
Acts 2006, No. 479, §1, eff. June 22, 2006.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.