2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 39 — Public finance
RS 39:1752 — Definitions
For the purposes of this Part, the following words and phrases shall be defined as follows:
(1) "Agency" as used in this Part and in Part V of Chapter 1 of this Title shall have the same meaning ascribed to it as provided in R.S. 36:3(1).
(2) "Competitive sealed bidding" means a method of procurement which strictly follows the requirements set forth in this Chapter except for such variations as are specifically established in this Part.
(3) "Local area network" means a limited distance data processing/communications network or system used to link computers and peripheral devices.
(4) "Multi-year contracts" are contracts for a term of more than one year, not to exceed ten years.
(5) "Procurement" means the selling, buying, purchasing, renting, leasing, or otherwise obtaining telecommunications systems, telecommunications services, or their related software as well as all activities engaged in, resulting in, or expected to result in the selling, buying, purchasing, renting, leasing, or otherwise obtaining telecommunications systems, telecommunications services, or their related software by the state or its agencies.
(6) "Software" means computer programs and documentation essential to and necessary for a telecommunications system or telecommunications service to perform productive operations.
(7) "Telecommunications service contract" means a contract for the procurement of telecommunications services to include but not be limited to long distance, pay telephone, radio paging, and utility-type services such as local dial tone.
(8) "Telecommunications systems", which shall include telecommunications equipment and related services, and "telecommunications services" are limited to the equipment and services and means to provide:
(a) Telecommunications transmission facilities and services.
(b) Voice telecommunications systems and services.
(c) Local area network systems and services.
(d) Wide area network systems and services.
(e) Video systems and services, except those video systems and services specifically reserved to the Louisiana Educational Television Authority pursuant to R.S. 17:2501.
(f) Wireless systems and services to include, but not be limited to, cellular and personal communications systems.
(g) Radio systems, to include but not be limited to two-way radio systems; however, the operational abilities and priorities of two-way communications of the departments in the executive branch shall not be impeded.
(h) Intercom and electro-mechanical paging systems.
(i) Any and all systems and services based on emerging and future telecommunications technologies relating to Subparagraphs (a) through (h) of this Paragraph.
(9) "Telecommunications systems contract" means a contract for the procurement of telecommunications systems including equipment and related services to include but not be limited to installation and maintenance.
(10) "Telecommunications systems lease contract" means a contract between a supplier of telecommunications systems and the division of administration, office of telecommunications management, or the procuring agency, through which telecommunications systems may be procured for a term which shall not exceed ten years. The contract may be either an operating lease, installment purchase, or a financed lease without a balloon payment.
(11) "Telecommunications transmission facility" means any transmission medium, switch, instrument, wiring system, or other facility which is used, in whole or in part, to provide any transmission.
(12) "Utility" means any telecommunications service provided by the office of telecommunications management and used in the essential operations of a state agency, such as local dial tone, wide area network, and local area network.
(13) "Wide area network" means a data processing/communications network or system generally utilizing common carrier facilities to link geographically dispersed local area networks to other local area networks or computer systems.
Added by Acts 1982, No. 152, §1, eff. July 12, 1982; Acts 1986, No. 778, §1; Acts 1989, No. 745, §1; Acts 1990, No. 876, §1; Acts 1997, No. 1098, §1, eff. July 14, 1997; Acts 2001, No. 772, §3, eff. July 1, 2001.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.