2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 26 — Liquors-alcoholic beverages
RS 26:2 — Definitions
For purposes of this Chapter, the following terms have the respective meanings ascribed to them in this Section, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
(1) "Alcoholic beverages" means any fluid or solid capable of being converted into fluid, suitable for human consumption and having an alcoholic content of more than six per cent by volume, including alcohol.
(2) "Bottler of wine" means any wine wholesaler who imports wine into the state in bulk and puts it in a closed container for distribution to other wholesale dealers.
(3) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of alcohol and tobacco control who shall be the assistant secretary of the office of alcohol and tobacco control in the Department of Revenue.
(4) "Cordial liquors and specialties" means liquor obtained by the process of mixing or redistilling with or over fruit, flowers, plants, or juices therefrom and to which sugar or dextrose, or both, have been added in an amount not less than two and one-half per cent by weight of the finished product.
(5) "Dealer" means any person who, as a business, manufactures, blends, rectifies, distills, processes, imports, stores, uses, handles, holds, sells, offers for sale, solicits orders for the sale of, distributes, delivers, serves, or transports any alcoholic beverage in the state or engages herein in any business transaction relating to any such beverage.
(6) "Dinner theater" means an establishment that is a "restaurant establishment", as defined by R.S. 26:73(C)(1), where food orders are taken and food service is provided in both a restaurant dining area and where patrons are seated to view live theatrical productions or the showing of film, still pictures, electronic or digital reproductions, or other visual reproductions.
(7) "Liquor" means all distilled or rectified alcoholic spirits, brandy, whiskey, rum, gin, and all similar distilled alcoholic beverages, including all dilutions and mixtures of one or more of the foregoing, such as liquors, cordials, and similar compounds.
(8) "Liquor retail distribution center" means any liquor retailer who has continuously maintained a distribution center or centers for distribution to its wholly owned retail permittees on or prior to January 1, 1961, in this state, or any commercial airline which stores alcoholic beverages in sealed containers of any size at any airport regularly served by the permittee . Such possession for retail sale or distribution therefrom shall be limited to alcohol of high volume content in any quantity.
(9) "Liquor retailer" means any dealer, other than a manufacturer or wholesaler, who sells, offers for sale, exposes for sale, or has in his possession for sale or distribution any alcoholic beverages in any quantity.
(10) "Liquor wholesaler" means any dealer who sells any alcoholic beverage to other licensed liquor wholesale dealers or to licensed retail liquor dealers in the state or who sells alcoholic beverages for delivery beyond the borders of the state in amounts to be fixed by the commissioner, or who imports any alcoholic beverages into the state, and who meets the standards set forth in this Chapter.
(11) "Manufacturer" means any person, other than a wine producer, who personally or through any agent whatever engages in the making, blending, rectifying, or processing of any alcoholic beverage in Louisiana; engages in the making, blending, rectifying, or processing any alcoholic beverage outside Louisiana for sale in Louisiana; or engages in the business of supplying alcoholic beverages to licensed wholesale dealers in Louisiana.
(12) "Outlet" means a place where any person draws or removes any alcoholic beverage from its container for consumption on the premises.
(13) "Package house-Class B" means a place consisting of no less than five hundred square feet of public habitable area which sells alcoholic beverages in factory sealed containers for transportation and consumption off the premises and where no person is allowed to tamper with or otherwise disrupt the manufacturer's seal on or about the licensed premises.
(14) "Regulated beverage" means any alcoholic beverage.
(15) "Solicitor" means any person who offers for sale or solicits any orders for the sale of any regulated beverage, other than in a regularly established and licensed place of business in this state, for delivery or shipment to any point in the state, whether done as owner, agent, or servant.
(16) "Sparkling wine" means any effervescent alcoholic beverage derived from the juice of any fruit, or synthesis thereof, charged with carbon dioxide, either artificially or as the result of secondary fermentation within the container.
(17) "Still wine" means any non-effervescent alcoholic beverage derived from the juice of any fruit, or synthesis thereof.
(18) "Supplier" means any person, other than a wine producer, who manufactures, makes, blends, rectifies, distills, processes, or purchases alcoholic beverages outside the state of Louisiana and imports, sells, offers for sale, solicits orders for sale, distributes, or delivers such alcoholic beverages in Louisiana.
(19) "Wholesale dealer" means those persons who sell alcoholic beverages of high alcoholic content to licensed wholesale dealers or licensed retail dealers exclusively, within the state or to any person for delivery beyond the borders of the state to a licensed dealer in that state and who conduct a bona fide wholesale business and maintain a warehouse or warehouses for the storage and warehousing of alcoholic beverages of high alcoholic content in the area where domiciled and licensed by the state, and conduct and maintain systematic and regular solicitations, distribution, deliveries, and sales of said beverages to licensed retail dealers located within the boundary of each parish, municipality, or geographic area, as contractually defined between the wholesaler and his supplier, in which the wholesale dealer makes any sale or delivery.
(20) "Wine package house" means a place where a person sells only sparkling wine and still wine in the original package or closed container, prepared for transportation and consumption off the premises.
(21) "Wine producer" means any person who, directly or indirectly, personally or through any agency, cultivates and grows grapes, fruits, berries, honey, or vegetables from which wine of an alcoholic content in excess of six percent by volume is produced and bottled from a fermentation of such grapes, fruits, berries, honey, or vegetables in Louisiana or outside the state for shipments to licensed wholesale dealers within the state subject to the provisions of R.S. 26:364.
(22) "Winery" means a plot of land located in Louisiana used to cultivate and grow grapes, fruits, berries, honey, or vegetables for the purpose of fermenting such grapes, fruits, berries, honey, or vegetables to produce and bottle wine of an alcoholic content in excess of six percent by volume.
(23) "Wine wholesaler" means any dealer who sells only sparkling wine and still wine to other licensed wholesale dealers or to licensed retail dealers for resale within the state.
Amended by Acts 1962, No. 463, §1; Acts 1987, No. 696, §1; Acts 1995, No. 1188, §2; eff. June 29, 1995; Acts 1997, No. 1370, §4, eff. Oct. 1, 1997; Acts 2001, No. 657, §1; Acts 2003, No. 6, §1; Acts 2003, No. 519, §1, eff. June 20, 2003; Acts 2006, No. 803, §1; Acts 2006, No. 808, §1, eff. June 30, 2006; Acts 2010, No. 953, §1, eff. July 2, 2010.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.