2011 Louisiana Laws
TITLE 12 — Corporations and associations
RS 12:201 — Nonprofit corporation law
CHAPTER 2. NONPROFIT CORPORATION LAW
§201. Terms defined
As used in this Chapter, unless the context requires otherwise,
(1) "Address" means street and municipal number, or other definite and ascertainable physical location if street and municipal number are not available; and, if a building not wholly occupied by the addressee, the location in the building.
(2) "Allocated value" means (1) the par value of par-value shares, plus any amounts in excess of par value transferred from surplus to stated capital in respect of such shares, less any part of such amounts transferred from stated capital to capital surplus as permitted by this Chapter, and (2) the amount allocated to stated capital upon issuance of shares without par value, plus any amounts thereafter transferred from surplus to stated capital in respect of such shares, less any part of such amounts transferred from stated capital to capital surplus as permitted by this Chapter.
(3) "Articles" means the original articles of incorporation, and all amendments thereto including those contained in merger agreements, or if restated, the latest restatement thereof, except in those instances in which the context expressly refers to the original articles of incorporation only.
(4) "Assets" means all of a corporation's property and rights of every kind. Treasury shares are not assets.
(5) "Business corporation" means a corporation for profit formed under the laws of this state.
(6) "Capital surplus" means the aggregate of:
(a) The amount of the consideration received on issuance of issued shares in excess of the aggregate allocated value thereof; and
(b) Amounts transferred to capital surplus as permitted by this Chapter; and
(c) Surplus arising from revaluation to reflect unrealized appreciation in value of assets; less
(d) Transfers from, or other reductions in, capital surplus required or permitted by this Chapter.
(7) "Corporation" or "nonprofit corporation" means a corporation formed under this Chapter, as well as a corporation formed under the laws of this state before January 1, 1969 but of a class of corporations that might be formed under this Chapter.
(8) "Court" means any court of competent jurisdiction where the registered office of the corporation is located.
(9) "Directors" means persons designated in the articles as such, and persons designated, elected or appointed by any other name or title to act as directors, and their successors. The term, when used in relation to any power or duty requiring collective action, means "board of directors".
(10) "Earned surplus" means the excess of surplus over capital surplus.
(11) "Fiduciary" means any person, firm, partnership, association or corporation, including a usufructuary, who or which occupies a position of peculiar confidence toward any person, firm, association, partnership, trust or estate.
(12) "Foreign corporation" means a corporation formed under the laws of any jurisdiction other than this state.
(13) "Incorporator" means one of the signers of the original articles of incorporation.
(14) "Insolvency" means the inability of a corporation to pay its debts as they become due in the usual course of business.
(15) "Issued shares" means outstanding shares and treasury shares.
(16) "Member" means each natural or artificial person admitted to membership in a corporation, and, unless the context indicates otherwise, includes shareholders.
(17) "Membership" means an interest in a corporation entitling the holder thereof to participate in the control of the corporation or to a pro rata share of its net assets upon dissolution.
(18) "Net assets" means the excess of assets over liabilities.
(19) "Reclassification of stock" means amendment of the articles to change the authorized number of shares of an existing class or series; to authorize shares of a new class or series; to change the designation, par value (including change of par-value shares to shares without par value or vice versa), preferences, limitations or relative rights, including cancellation or modification of the right to receive accumulated dividends which have not been declared, or variations in relative rights, of the issued, and authorized but unissued, shares of any existing class or series; or to change the issued shares of any existing class or series into a greater or smaller number of shares of the same class or series (subject to such changes as the reclassification may make in the designation, par value, preferences, limitations or relative rights, or variations in relative rights, thereof) or of another class or series, and to cancel any issued shares in connection with a reduction in the number thereof.
(20) "Registered office" means that office maintained by the corporation in this state, the address of which is kept on file in the office of the Secretary of State in the manner required by this Chapter.
(21) "Share" means an interest in a corporation, represented by a stock certificate issued after payment for the shares represented thereby, entitling the holder thereof to participate in the control of the corporation or to a pro rata share of its net assets upon dissolution.
(22) "Shareholder" means a natural or artificial person who is the owner of a property interest in a corporation represented by a certificate for shares of stock.
(23) "Stated capital" means the aggregate amount of:
(a) The aggregate allocated value of the issued shares; and
(b) Any other amounts transferred from surplus to stated capital; less
(c) Transfers from, or other reductions in, stated capital required or permitted by this Chapter.
(24) "Subscriber" means one who subscribes for shares in a corporation, whether before or after incorporation.
(25) "Surplus" means the excess of assets over liabilities plus stated capital.
(26) "Total voting power" means the entirety of the voting power.
(27) "Treasury shares" means issued shares which have been acquired by and belong to the corporation, if not required by the articles to be cancelled, or if not cancelled by order of the board of directors.
(28) "Trust instrument" includes any lawful act, agreement, donation, testament or other document, by which the donor, settlor or testator transfers any property in trust, for any charitable, religious, benevolent, educational, scientific or literary purpose, or public benefaction of whatever name or nature.
(29) "Voting member" means a person entitled to vote in accordance with the articles or by-laws.
(30) "Voting member present" means a person who is a voting member, and who is present or represented, and entitled to vote on a particular question or matter, at a meeting of members.
(31) "Voting power" means the right vested, by law or by the articles or the by-laws, in the members, or in one or more classes of members, to vote in the determination of any particular question or matter coming before meetings of the members.
Acts 1968, No. 105, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.