2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 45:163.1 — Registration and supervision of interstate carriers
§163.1. Registration and supervision of interstate carriers
A.(1)(a) For the purposes of this Section, motor carriers shall include: common carriers, contract carriers, and private carriers.
(b) Except as otherwise provided in this Chapter, before any motor carrier engaged in interstate commerce shall operate, it shall first secure a registration permit from the Louisiana Public Service Commission by making application therefor on forms supplied by the commission and paying a one-time, twenty-five dollar registration fee.
(c) Applications for registration shall show every certificate or permit authority issued to the applicant by the Interstate Commerce Commission with regard to the applicant's operation in the state.
(d) Carriers exempt from ICC regulations must fill out such forms as required by the commission.
(e) A legal process agent, who may be any person who is a legal resident of Louisiana, is required for both regulated and exempt carriers.
(2) Interstate vehicles must have a uniform cab card for ICC carriers or the proper form provided for exempt carriers. A current annual Louisiana interstate stamp must be affixed to the back of the card. A fee of ten dollars per year must be paid to the commission.
(3) All motor carriers entering, leaving, or crossing the state of Louisiana must file bodily injury/property damage insurance certificates on a uniform form as required by the commission. Insurance filings will not be accepted prior to registration. Minimum limits shall be set by the Public Service Commission.
(4) Interstate motor carriers who are registered, have paid the twenty-five dollar filing fee, and have current liability and cargo insurance, where needed, on file with the commission may obtain fourteen-day trip permits at five dollars per permit. These can be used in lieu of the annual stamp, but they must be obtained in advance of entry into Louisiana.
B. Repealed by Acts 1990, No. 165, §2.
C. Repealed by Acts 1995, No. 301, §3, eff. June 15, 1995.
D.(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Section to the contrary, the Louisiana Public Service Commission is hereby authorized to adopt such rules, including enforcement procedures and penalties, as may be necessary or appropriate for participation in the single state registration system for motor carriers authorized by 49 U.S.C. 11506. The commission may take advantage of the provisions of said federal law and applicable rules and regulations of the Interstate Commerce Commission, including exchanging information and fees with other participating states and charging such fees as may be permitted thereunder. Cooperation with other states in the sharing of revenue may be accomplished through an account approved by the state cash management review board.
(2) Fees due the state of Louisiana pursuant to this Section shall be credited to the Motor Carrier Regulation Fund as provided in R.S. 45:169.1. Such monies shall be used exclusively for the operating expenses of the commission, as appropriated by the legislature, subject to the limitations provided in 49 U.S.C. 11506 and applicable rules and regulations of the Interstate Commerce Commission.
(3) No suit shall lie against the state or any agency of the state by reason of participation in the single state registration system authorized by 49 U.S.C. 11506.
Acts 1972, No. 304, §1; Acts 1984, No. 819, §1; Acts 1986, No. 235, §1; Acts 1987, No. 388, §1; Acts 1990, No. 165, §2; Acts 1993, No. 284, §1; Acts 1995, No. 301, §3, eff. June 15, 1995.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.