2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 22:672 — Towing and storage of motor vehicles; insurance policies; storage fees; exceptions
§672. Towing and storage of motor vehicles; insurance policies; storage fees; exceptions
A. A motor vehicle insurance policy shall not be construed to allow an insurer to assume or accede to the legal title of a motor vehicle without assuming credit obligations of the insured owner of the motor vehicle for charges for towing and storage services associated with the incident from which the insurance coverage arises. Such charges for storage services shall not exceed any maximum charge set by the Public Service Commission pursuant to its legal authority under R.S. 45:180.1, or as otherwise provided by law.
B. An insurer which has succeeded to the title of a motor vehicle is not authorized to abandon such vehicle to a towing or storage service without consent of the provider of such service.
C.(1) A debt incurred by or on behalf of a named insured for towing or storage services may be collected from an insurer which succeeds to the legal title of the motor vehicle covered under the policy for physical damage, property damage, or uninsured motorist coverage.
(2) An insurer may be authorized by the provisions of a motor vehicle insurance policy to act for a named insured in any matter regarding the towing and storage of a covered disabled vehicle.
D.(1) Repealed by Acts 1999, No. 1108, §3, eff. Jan. 1, 2000.
(2) Any storage facility which charges and receives a fee in excess of that set in this Section shall return all storage fees received for storage of the vehicle for which an excess fee was charged and shall be subject to a fine not to exceed one hundred dollars. Each daily overcharge shall constitute a separate violation for which a fine may be assessed.
(3) The daily storage fee shall be the only fee charged by the storage facility during storage of a vehicle. There shall be no additional charges for locating the vehicle in the storage facility, viewing of the vehicle, photography of the vehicle, removal of items from the vehicle, or for any other similar activity which does not require towing or moving of the vehicle during regular business hours.
(4) Nothing in this Section shall be construed to diminish the authority of the Public Service Commission to regulate wreckers and towing services and their rates, fares, tolls, or charges as provided by R.S. 45:180.1.
(5) For the purposes of this Section "inside" shall be limited to storage in or under a fixed structure.
E. Repealed by Acts 2006, No. 628, §2.
Acts 1990, No. 951, §§1, 3; Acts 1992, No. 375, §1; Acts 1999, No. 1108, §§1, 3 (§3 eff. Jan. 1, 2000); Acts 2006, No. 628, §§1, 2.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.