2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 14:2 — Definitions
A. In this Code the terms enumerated shall have the designated meanings:
(1) "Another" refers to any other person or legal entity, including the state of Louisiana or any subdivision thereof.
(2) "Anything of value" must be given the broadest possible construction, including any conceivable thing of the slightest value, movable or immovable, corporeal or incorporeal, public or private, and including transportation, telephone and telegraph services, or any other service available for hire. It must be construed in the broad popular sense of the phrase, not necessarily as synonymous with the traditional legal term "property." In all cases involving shoplifting the term "value" is the actual retail price of the property at the time of the offense.
(3) "Dangerous weapon" includes any gas, liquid or other substance or instrumentality, which, in the manner used, is calculated or likely to produce death or great bodily harm.
(4) "Felony" is any crime for which an offender may be sentenced to death or imprisonment at hard labor.
(5) "Foreseeable" refers to that which ordinarily would be anticipated by a human being of average reasonable intelligence and perception.
(6) "Misdemeanor" is any crime other than a felony.
(7) "Person" includes a human being from the moment of fertilization and implantation and also includes a body of persons, whether incorporated or not.
(8) "Property" refers to both public and private property, movable and immovable, and corporeal and incorporeal property.
(9) "Public officer," "public office," "public employee" or "position of public authority" means and applies to any executive, ministerial, administrative, judicial, or legislative officer, office, employee or position of authority respectively, of the state of Louisiana or any parish, municipality, district, or other political subdivision thereof, or of any agency, board, commission, department or institution of said state, parish, municipality, district, or other political subdivision.
(10) "State" means the state of Louisiana, or any parish, municipality, district, or other political subdivision thereof, or any agency, board, commission, department or institution of said state, parish, municipality, district or other political subdivision.
(11) "Unborn child" means any individual of the human species from fertilization and implantation until birth.
(12) "Whoever" in a penalty clause refers only to natural persons insofar as death or imprisonment is provided, but insofar as a fine may be imposed "whoever" in a penalty clause refers to any person.
B. In this Code, "crime of violence" means an offense that has, as an element, the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against the person or property of another, and that, by its very nature, involves a substantial risk that physical force against the person or property of another may be used in the course of committing the offense or an offense that involves the possession or use of a dangerous weapon. The following enumerated offenses and attempts to commit any of them are included as "crimes of violence":
(1) Solicitation for murder
(2) First degree murder
(3) Second degree murder
(5) Aggravated battery
(6) Second degree battery
(7) Aggravated assault
(8) Mingling harmful substances
(9) Aggravated rape
(10) Forcible rape
(11) Simple rape
(12) Sexual battery
(13) Second degree sexual battery
(14) Intentional exposure to AIDS virus
(15) Aggravated kidnapping
(16) Second degree kidnapping
(17) Simple kidnapping
(18) Aggravated arson
(19) Aggravated criminal damage to property
(20) Aggravated burglary
(21) Armed robbery
(22) First degree robbery
(23) Simple robbery
(24) Purse snatching
(26) Assault by drive-by shooting
(27) Aggravated crime against nature
(29) Illegal use of weapons or dangerous instrumentalities
(31) Aggravated second degree battery
(32) Aggravated assault upon a peace officer with a firearm
(33) Aggravated assault with a firearm
(34) Armed robbery; use of firearm; additional penalty
(35) Second degree robbery
(36) Disarming of a peace officer
(38) Second degree cruelty to juveniles
(39) Aggravated flight from an officer
(40) Aggravated incest
Amended by Acts 1962, No. 68, §1; Acts 1976, No. 256, §1; Acts 1977, No. 128, §1; Acts 1989, No. 777, §1; Acts 1992, No. 1015, §1; Acts 1994, 3rd Ex. Sess., No. 73, §1; Acts 1995, No. 650, §1; Acts 1995, No. 1223, §1; Acts 2001, No. 301, §2; Acts 2002, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 128, §2; Acts 2003, No. 637, §1; Acts 2004, No. 651, §1; Acts 2004, No. 676, §1; Acts 2006, No. 72, §1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.