2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 8:464 — Action required when authority fails to deposit minimum endowment or perpetual funds

§464.  Action required when authority fails to deposit minimum endowment or perpetual funds

A.  If an examination made by the board, or any report filed with it, shows that there has not been collected and deposited in the endowment or perpetual care fund the minimum amounts required by this Title, the board shall require such cemetery authority to comply immediately with such requirement.

B.(1)  Upon the failure of a cemetery authority to meet the requirements of this Chapter, the board shall have the authority to institute legal proceedings in district court in the parish where the cemetery is physically located for the purpose of recovering from the cemetery authority, and any other responsible party, the amounts necessary to satisfy the deficiencies in the endowment or perpetual care funds.

(2)  The board may, in the same or other legal proceedings, recover from the cemetery authority and any other responsible party all reasonable costs, fees, and expenses incurred by the board, including but not limited to the costs of all examinations, audits, accountant and attorney's fees, cost of administrative proceedings and hearings, and any other cost incurred by the board in the enforcement of the provisions of this Title, any other provisions of law notwithstanding.

(3)  Notwithstanding any other provisions of law, if the board fails to prove that the cemetery authority or other responsible party is not in compliance with the requirements of this Section, then the board shall not recover any costs, fees, or any expenses incurred by it and shall be responsible for paying all reasonable costs, fees, or expenses incurred by the cemetery authority or responsible party who was accused of not being in compliance.

Acts 1991, No. 430, §1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.