2006 Louisiana Laws - RS 28:874 — Authority; functions, powers, and duties
§874. Authority; functions, powers, and duties
A. The authority, in accordance with R.S. 28:382.2 and the framework created pursuant thereto, shall:
(1) Perform the functions which provide community-based services and continuity of care for the prevention, detection, treatment, rehabilitation, and follow-up care of mental and emotional illness.
(2) Be responsible for community-based programs and functions relating to the care, diagnosis, training, treatment, case management, and education of the mentally retarded, the developmentally disabled, and the autistic.
(3) Perform residential and community-based functions relating to the care, diagnosis, training, treatment, and education of alcohol or drug abusers and the prevention of addictive disorders.
(4) With the funding provided pursuant to R.S. 36:254(J), maintain services in Paragraphs (1) and (2) on at least the same level as the state maintains similar programs in other parishes or regions of the state.
B. In addition to its function as provided in Subsection A of this Section, the authority shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) To have possession and operating control of, but not title to, all real and personal property owned by the state and dedicated to the provision of community-based mental health, developmental disabilities, and addictive disorders in the parishes transferred to the authority. The state shall continue to be responsible for the maintenance of those properties which are provided by the state on the effective date* of this Chapter.
(2) To be contracted with and enter into contracts of every nature in compliance with this Chapter and other state laws.
(3) To acquire movable property by lease, purchase, donation, or otherwise and to obtain title to same in its own name. The authority may lawfully sell or dispose of the movable property. Inventory and other property records shall be the responsibility of the authority.
(4) To establish community-based mental health, developmental disabilities, and addictive disorder program policies in conformance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
(5) With the funding provided pursuant to R.S. 36:254(J), to maintain services in community-based mental health, developmental disabilities, and addictive disorders on at least the same level as the state maintains similar programs in other parishes or regions of the state.
(6) To employ an executive director to oversee the operations of the authority and who will be responsible for the administration and management of all aspects of the authority. The director shall report periodically to the board as stipulated in the bylaws.
(7) To establish performance indicators to determine the quality of services delivered by the authority and to ensure that the quality of services delivered is higher than the quality of services previously delivered by the state.
C. The board shall collect or cause to be collected all monies due the authority for the provision of services pursuant to statutory requirements and any other form of contract or agreement by which the authority provides services and levies charges therefor. The authority may retain all federal funds, self-generated funds, and any funds collected under the Medical Assistance Program (Title XIX of the Social Security Act) in excess of funds provided in the General Appropriation Act which are collected for the provision of services.
D. The authority shall constitute a body corporate in law, with all of the powers of a corporation, including the power to sue and be sued. The authority shall also have all the powers and rights conferred by this Chapter and the power to perform any other act in its corporate capacity and in its corporate name which is necessary and proper for effectuating the purposes for which the authority was created. The authority shall constitute an authority within the meaning of Article VI, Section 19 of the Constitution of Louisiana, shall be a political subdivision of the state, and enjoy all rights, powers, and privileges enjoyed by other political subdivisions of the state under the constitution and laws of the state, excluding the rights to incur long-term debt, issue bonds, and levy taxes and special assessments.
E.(1) The board shall submit an annual written report to the legislative delegation representing the seven parishes included within the authority at least thirty days prior to each regular session. The report shall include the audited financial statements of the authority as required in R.S. 24:513. The report shall also include a summary of the utilization of traditional providers of mental health, developmental disabilities, and addictive disorder services in the parishes transferred to the authority.
(2) The board shall submit any additional reports or information to bona fide grantors or governmental bodies, upon written request.
F.(1) Notwithstanding any provision of state law to the contrary, the authority and the department shall share access to each other's client case records of clients for whom they both provide services, to the extent that access is not prohibited by any contrary provision of federal law or regulation.
(2) For the purposes of this Subsection, "case records" include social service records, medical services records, probation and parole records, records of foster care services, records and investigations on abuse or neglect of children or adults, and records of child welfare services administered by the department.
Acts 2006, No. 449, §1, eff. June 15, 2006.
*NOTE: Acts 2006, No. 449, §4, provides that the Act shall become effective when adequate funds are appropriated by the legislature. Until such appropriation is made, the governing board shall act as an advisory board to the department regarding the issues of developmental disabilities, mental health, and substance abuse with the Department of Health and Hospitals Region 3 of Louisiana.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Louisiana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.