2013 Kentucky Revised Statutes
Download as PDF
As used in KRS 367.905 to 367.930, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) "Health spa" means an establishment, except those defined as nonprofit
organizations under 26 U.S.C. sec. 509(a), which provides for profit as one of
its primary purposes, services or facilities which purport to improve the user's
physical condition or appearance through participation in sports activities,
fitness training, exercise, or body building. The term includes establishments
that offer access to any of the following facilities: gymnasiums, swimming
pools, tracks, ball courts, weight lifting equipment, exercise equipment or
facilities, saunas, steambaths, or whirlpools.
It does not include
establishments that limit their services primarily to diet counseling and the
provision of special dietary foods.
(2) "Contract" means an oral or written agreement by which one becomes a
member of a health spa.
(3) "Member" means a status attained by any natural person entitling him to the
services or facilities of a health spa.
(4) "Seller" means the person, corporation, partnership, association, or group
engaged in the operation of a health spa as defined in this section, and who
offers for sale the right to use the facilities or the services of the health spa.
(5) "Facilities" means equipment, physical structures, and other tangible property
utilized by a health spa to conduct its business. The term includes, but is not
limited to, saunas, whirlpool baths, gymnasiums, running tracks, swimming
pools, shower areas, and exercise equipment.
(6) "Services" means programs, plans, guidance, or instruction provided by a
health spa for health spa members. The term includes, but is not limited to diet
planning, exercise instruction, exercise programs, and instructional classes.
(7) "Prepayment" means any payment for services or the use of facilities made
before the services or facilities are made available by the health spa. It is not a
prepayment if a payment for services or the use of facilities is made on the
same day the services or use of the facilities is provided. Money or other
consideration received by a health spa from a financial institution upon the
assignment or sale of a contract shall be considered a prepayment to the
extent the member is required to make prepayments to the financial institution
pursuant to the contract.
(8) "Special offer or discount" means any offer of health spa services or the use of
health spa facilities at a reduced price or without charge to the member or
(9) "Contract price" means the total consideration paid by a member pursuant to a
contract, including, but not limited to the following:
(a) Any nonrecurring fee charged at, or near, the beginning of a health spa
membership or renewal period;
(b) All monthly fees required by the contract;
(c) All finance charges, time-price differentials, interest, and other similar
fees and charges; and
(d) All charges for equipment or locker rental, credit check, financial, medical
and dietary evaluation, class and training fees.
(10) "Contract term" means the total period of health spa use allowed by a
member's contract, including months or time periods that are called "free" or
"bonus," or that are described in any other terms suggesting that they are
provided free of charge.
Effective:July 15, 1988
History: Amended 1988 Ky. Acts ch. 367, sec. 5, effective July 15, 1988. -Created 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 298, sec. 1, effective July 15, 1982.
CHAPTER 367 - CONSUMER PROTECTION
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kentucky may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.