2017 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 76 STATE INSTITUTIONS AND AGENCIES; HISTORICAL PROPERTY
Article 7 STATE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS; MANAGEMENT AND OPERATION
76-718b Gifts of personal property; acceptance and administration of; university foundations and foundation subsidiaries.
76-718b. Gifts of personal property; acceptance and administration of; university foundations and foundation subsidiaries. (a) As used in this section:
(1) (A) "Property" means any tangible, intangible or other personal property.
(B) "Property" does not mean real property.
(2) "University" means (A) The university of Kansas, Kansas state university, Wichita state university, Fort Hays state university, Emporia state university and Pittsburg state university; and (B) all campuses and academic and administrative units, schools, colleges, departments or other unincorporated subdivisions of a university.
(3) "Foundation" or "university foundation" means the official foundation of a university.
(4) "Foundation subsidiary" means a third party entity wholly-owned by the foundation or a non-member, non-stock not-for-profit entity wholly controlled by the foundation.
(5) "Chief executive officer" means the president or chancellor of a university or a person designated by the chief executive officer.
(6) "Gift" means any gift, donation, bequest or endowment of property.
(7) "Donor" means any person who makes a gift.
(8) "Approval" means the acceptance of a gift by the chief executive officer of a university and includes any conditions established by the chief executive officer in such approval.
(9) "State law" means any state statute or rule and regulation adopted pursuant thereto.
(b) (1) Except as provided by this section, each gift made to a university, upon written approval of the chief executive officer, shall be deemed to be a gift to the university's foundation.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any gift that has been or is made to a university if the donor made the gift upon the express written condition that such gift not be transferred to the university's foundation or foundation subsidiary.
(c) All university funds and all student scholarship or loan funds held or managed for a university by the university's foundation, pursuant to state law in effect immediately prior to the effective date of this act and upon written approval of the chief executive officer of the university, shall be deemed to be the property of such foundation.
(d) A gift which otherwise would vest in a foundation under subsection (b) shall not so vest until the earlier of:
(1) The date on which the foundation provides written notice of acceptance of such gift to the chief executive officer. Such notice shall include acceptance of any conditions established in the approval of the gift by the chief executive officer; or
(2) thirty days following the date on which the chief executive officer provides written notice to the foundation of such gift including any conditions established in the approval thereof by the chief executive officer and the failure of such foundation within such thirty-day period to provide such chief executive officer written notice that such foundation either disclaims or is assigning to a foundation subsidiary the gift that was described in the chief executive officer's notice that otherwise would become property of such foundation pursuant to subsection (b). If written notice of such disclaimer or assignment is provided to the chief executive officer within such thirty-day period, such property disclaimed or assigned shall be deemed never to have belonged to the foundation. Any portion of a gift which is assigned shall be deemed to be the property of the foundation subsidiary subject to any conditions established in the approval thereof by the chief executive officer of such university.
(e) Any property which is or becomes the property of a foundation or a foundation subsidiary, pursuant to this section or otherwise, shall not be deemed to be public or state property or moneys under K.S.A. 45-240, and amendments thereto, or other state law.
(f) Any property which becomes the property of a foundation or a foundation subsidiary pursuant to this section shall be received, held, administered, invested, reinvested and expended solely for the benefit of such foundation's university, including faculty or staff of the university, subject to any lawful restrictions created by any agreement or other instrument which governs such gift or student scholarship or loan fund, whether by the donor thereof or in the approval thereof by the chief executive officer of the university. Unless lawful restrictions on the use of the property provide otherwise, any such property may be commingled with other property of such foundation or foundation subsidiary. The foundation or foundation subsidiary may charge and deduct a reasonable administrative fee for services provided in fulfilling its obligations under this subsection and may be reimbursed for its actual expenses incurred in performing such services, from the profits, income or principal of such property.
(g) A foundation or foundation subsidiary shall not have the power to commit its university to expend any public funds or state moneys.
(h) The Kansas university endowment association shall be the official foundation for the university of Kansas. The Kansas state university foundation shall be the official foundation for Kansas state university. The Wichita state university foundation shall be the official foundation for Wichita state university. The Fort Hays state university foundation shall be the official foundation for Fort Hays state university. The Emporia state university foundation, inc., shall be the official foundation for Emporia state university. The Pittsburg state university foundation, inc., shall be the official foundation for Pittsburg state university.
(i) The provisions of subsections (b) and (c) shall not apply to:
(1) Any fees, tuition or other charges collected by a university.
(2) Any gift or transfer made to a university by the university's foundation or foundation subsidiary.
(3) Any funds appropriated by the state of Kansas to a university, the state board of regents, any political or taxing subdivision of the state or to the United States or any agency or instrumentality of any such entity. A foundation, or at the designation of a foundation, a foundation subsidiary may receive, hold, administer, invest, reinvest and expend any of such appropriated funds or moneys and any funds or property which the foundation timely disclaims in compliance with subsection (d) in accordance with, and subject to the terms and conditions of, a written agreement entered into between such foundation or foundation subsidiary and its university which is otherwise authorized by state law or by the terms and conditions of a written agreement between such university and the state of Kansas, the state board of regents, political or taxing subdivision of the state or the United States or any agency or instrumentality of any such entity.
(j) The provisions of K.S.A. 76-156a, and amendments thereto, shall not apply to a gift transferred pursuant to subsection (b).
(k) The provisions of this section shall not supersede the provisions of K.S.A. 76-718a, and amendments thereto.
History: L. 2010, ch. 138, § 1; July 1.