2017 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 40 INSURANCE
40-5503 License required; limitations; exceptions.

Universal Citation: KS Stat § 40-5503 (2017)

40-5503.License required; limitations; exceptions. (a) A person shall not act as or represent that such person is a public adjuster in this state unless the person is an individual licensed as a public adjuster in accordance with this act.

(b) A licensed public adjuster shall not misrepresent to a claimant that the individual is an adjuster representing an insurer in any capacity, including acting as an employee of the insurer or acting as an independent adjuster, unless so appointed by an insurer in writing to act on the insurer's behalf for that specific claim or purpose. A licensed public adjuster is prohibited from charging that specific claimant a fee when appointed by the insurer and the appointment is accepted by the licensed public adjuster.

(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, a license as a public adjuster shall not be required of the following:

(1) An attorney-at-law admitted to practice in this state, when acting in such person's professional capacity as an attorney;

(2) a person who negotiates or settles claims arising under a life or health insurance policy or an annuity contract;

(3) a person employed only for the purpose of obtaining facts surrounding a loss or furnishing technical assistance to a licensed public adjuster, including photographers, estimators, private investigators, engineers and handwriting experts;

(4) a licensed health care provider, or employee of a licensed health care provider, who prepares or files a health claim form on behalf of a patient; or

(5) a person who settles subrogation claims between insurers.

History: L. 2009, ch. 83, § 3; Apr. 23.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.