2015 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 50 UNFAIR TRADE AND CONSUMER PROTECTION
Article 6 CONSUMER PROTECTION
50-6,109 Scrap metal theft reduction act; definitions.
50-6,109. Scrap metal theft reduction act; definitions. (a) K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 50-6,109 through 50-6,112c, and amendments thereto, shall be known and may be cited as the scrap metal theft reduction act.
(b) As used in the scrap metal theft reduction act:
(1) "Scrap metal dealer" means any individual, firm, company, partnership, association or corporation that operates a business that is engaged in the business of buying, trading or dealing in regulated scrap metal for the purpose of sale for recycling.
(2) "Regulated scrap metal" means any item, in any form, for which the purchase price described in K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 50-6,110 and 50-6,111, and amendments thereto, was primarily based on the content of:
(A) Aluminum, except that aluminum shall not include food or beverage containers;
(E) stainless steel;
(O) any other nonferrous metal; or
(P) any combination of nonferrous metals listed in subsections (b)(2)(A) through (b)(2)(P).
(3) "Bales of regulated metal" means regulated scrap metal property processed with professional recycling equipment by compression, shearing or shredding, to a form in which it may be sold by a scrap metal dealer consistent with industry standards.
(4) "Junk vehicle" means a vehicle as defined in K.S.A. 8-126, and amendments thereto, not requiring a title as provided in chapter 8 of the Kansas Statutes Annotated, and amendments thereto, an aircraft or a boat which is being sold for scrap value.
(5) "Nonferrous metal" means a metal that does not contain iron or steel.
(6) "Vehicle part" means the front clip consisting of the two front fenders, hood, grill and front bumper of an automobile assembled as one unit; or the rear clip consisting of those body parts behind the rear edge of the back doors, including both rear quarter panels, the rear window, trunk lid, trunk floor panel and rear bumper, assembled as one unit.
(7) "Person" means any individual, scrap metal dealer, manager or employee, owner, operator, corporation, partnership or association.
(8) "Attorney general" means the attorney general of the state of Kansas or the attorney general's designee.
History: L. 2007, ch. 128, § 1; L. 2008, ch. 82, § 2; L. 2009, ch. 88, § 2; L. 2011, ch. 86, § 5; L. 2015, ch. 96, § 12; July 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.