2015 Kansas Statutes
23-3207 Residential arrangements.

KS Stat § 23-3207 (2015) What's This?

23-3207. Residential arrangements. After making a determination of the legal custodial arrangements, the court shall determine the residency of the child from the following options, which arrangement the court must find to be in the best interest of the child. The parties shall submit to the court either an agreed parenting plan or, in the case of dispute, proposed parenting plans for the court’s consideration. Such options are:

(a) Residency. The court may order a residential arrangement in which the child resides with one or both parents on a basis consistent with the best interests of the child.

(b) Divided residency. In an exceptional case, the court may order a residential arrangement in which one or more children reside with each parent and have parenting time with the other.

(c) Nonparental residency. If during the proceedings the court determines that there is probable cause to believe that the child is a child in need of care as defined by subsections (d)(1), (d)(2), (d)(3) or (d)(11) of K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 38-2202, and amendments thereto, or that neither parent is fit to have residency, the court may award temporary residency of the child to a grandparent, aunt, uncle or adult sibling, or, another person or agency if the court finds by written order that:

(1) (A) The child is likely to sustain harm if not immediately removed from the home;

(B) allowing the child to remain in the home is contrary to the welfare of the child; or

(C) immediate placement of the child is in the best interest of the child; and

(2) reasonable efforts have been made to maintain the family unit and prevent the unnecessary removal of the child from the child’s home or that an emergency exists which threatens the safety of the child. In making such a residency order, the court shall give preference, to the extent that the court finds it is in the best interests of the child, first to awarding such residency to a relative of the child by blood, marriage or adoption and second to awarding such residency to another person with whom the child has close emotional ties. The court may make temporary orders for care, support, education and visitation that it considers appropriate. Temporary residency orders are to be entered in lieu of temporary orders provided for in K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 38-2243 and 38-2244, and amendments thereto, and shall remain in effect until there is a final determination under the revised Kansas code for care of children. An award of temporary residency under this paragraph shall not terminate parental rights nor give the court the authority to consent to the adoption of the child. When the court enters orders awarding temporary residency of the child to an agency or a person other than the parent, the court shall refer a transcript of the proceedings to the county or district attorney. The county or district attorney shall file a petition as provided in K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 38-2234, and amendments thereto, and may request termination of parental rights pursuant to K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 38-2266, and amendments thereto. The costs of the proceedings shall be paid from the general fund of the county. When a final determination is made that the child is not a child in need of care, the county or district attorney shall notify the court in writing and the court, after a hearing, shall enter appropriate custody orders pursuant to this article. If the same judge presides over both proceedings, the notice is not required. Any order pursuant to the revised Kansas code for care of children shall take precedence over any order under this article.

History: L. 2011, ch. 26, § 24; L. 2012, ch. 162, § 48; May 31.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.