2014 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 40 INSURANCE
Article 34 HEALTH CARE PROVIDER INSURANCE
- 40-3401 Definitions.
- 40-3402 Professional liability insurance to be maintained by health care providers as condition of active licensure to render services in state, exception, limits of coverage; information to be furnished by insurer; termination of coverage, notice; contents of policies issued in state; duties of certain insurance companies; surcharge and information required of certain health care providers; occurrence form policy as alternative to required claims made policy for certain persons.
- 40-3403 Health care stabilization fund, establishment and administration; board of governors, membership, organization, meetings, executive director and staff and general powers and duties; duties of commissioner of insurance; liability of fund; payments from fund; qualification of health care provider for coverage under fund, termination; liability of provider for acts of other providers; university of Kansas medical center private practice foundation reserve fund, establishment, transfers from; provider coverage options, election; eligibility of psychiatric hospitals and certain inactive providers for coverage; termination of fund liability for certain providers.
- 40-3403a Termination of fund coverage; equivalent insurance required.
- 40-3403b Health care stabilization fund oversight committee; members, compensation and expenses; duties; legislative staff assistance; information provided for actuarial review, confidentiality, exemption from legal process.
- 40-3404 Annual premium surcharge; collection by insurer; penalty for failure of insurer to comply; basis of amount of premium surcharge.
- 40-3406 Investment of health care stabilization fund moneys.
- 40-3407 Payments from fund; claim payments.
- 40-3407a Same; expenditures irrespective of time liability incurred or judgment or settlement made.
- 40-3408 Liability of insurer or self-insurer for injury or death arising out of act or omission of health care provider, limitation; fund coverage excess over liability insurance coverage; permissive exclusions from coverage.
- 40-3409 Service upon board of governors required in action filed in state for injury or death arising out of act or omission of health care provider; time for filing; effect of failure to make service; notification of board of governors required in action filed outside of state; copy of petition involving certain health care providers forwarded to state board of healing arts; defense of action; costs; submission of certain information to board of healing arts.
- 40-3410 Negotiation of amount of claim to be paid from fund; settlement; procedure for court approval.
- 40-3411 Commencement of actions upon failure to reach settlement or obtain court approval thereof on amount to be paid from fund; defense of action; attorneys' fees; obligation of provider to attend hearings and trial and give evidence.
- 40-3412 Actions against health care providers or inactive health care providers; no direct action against fund or insurer; inadmissible evidence; fund not liable for certain damages.
- 40-3413 Apportionment of risk among insurers; preparation of plan; contents; approval or disapproval; amendment; preparation by commissioner of insurance, when; order to discontinue unfair or unreasonable activities or activities inconsistent with act; governing board, membership; commissions on insurance written under plan; prior acts liability insurance for certain providers, policy limits.
- 40-3414 Qualification of health care provider or system as self-insurer; cancellation of certificate of self-insurance, grounds; payment of surcharge; Kansas soldiers' home, Kansas veterans' home and persons engaged in residency training and persons engaged in a postgraduate training program as self-insurers; health maintenance organizations and related groups; private practice foundations and faculty of university of Kansas medical center.
- 40-3415 Consultation and assistance in maintaining compliance with act.
- 40-3416 Report of suspected violations to regulatory agencies; investigation; report to attorney general; injunctive relief.
- 40-3417 Rules and regulations.
- 40-3418 Severability of act.
- 40-3418a Severability of act.
- 40-3419 Title of act.
- 40-3420 Professional corporation which reorganizes as not-for-profit corporation is continuing concern for purposes of obtaining basic coverage under health care provider insurance availability act.
- 40-3421 Reports by insurers of claims and actions, confidentiality; failure to report, civil penalty; liability of insurers in civil actions.
- 40-3422 Appeal bond.
- 40-3423 Annuities purchased by fund.
- 40-3424 Fund liability for judgments or settlements against inactive health care providers.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.