2013 Kansas Statutes
Chapter 65 PUBLIC HEALTH
Article 67 ABORTION
Section 65-6732 Legislative declaration that life begins at fertilization.
65-6732. Legislative declaration that life begins at fertilization. (a) The legislature hereby finds and declares the following:
(1) The life of each human being begins at fertilization;
(2) unborn children have interests in life, health and well-being that should be protected; and
(3) the parents of unborn children have protectable interests in the life, health and well-being of the unborn children of such parents.
(b) On and after July 1, 2013, the laws of this state shall be interpreted and construed to acknowledge on behalf of the unborn child at every stage of development, all the rights, privileges and immunities available to other persons, citizens and residents of this state, subject only to the constitution of the United States, and decisional interpretations thereof by the United States supreme court and specific provisions to the contrary in the Kansas constitution and the Kansas Statutes Annotated.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) "Fertilization" means the fusion of a human spermatozoon with a human ovum.
(2) "Unborn children" or "unborn child" shall include all unborn children or the offspring of human beings from the moment of fertilization until birth at every stage of biological development.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed as creating a cause of action against a woman for indirectly harming her unborn child by failing to properly care for herself or by failing to follow any particular program of prenatal care.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.