2011 Kansas Code
58-3957 Filing of claim with administrator.

58-3957.Filing of claim with administrator. (a)  A person, excluding another state, claiming an interest in any property paid or delivered to the administrator may file with the administrator a claim on a form prescribed by the administrator and verified by the claimant.  The administrator may hold a hearing on the claim in accordance with the provisions of the Kansas administrative procedure act.  The decision resulting from any hearing shall be a public record.

(b) The administrator shall consider each claim within 90 days after it is filed and give written notice to the claimant if the claim is denied in whole or in part.  The notice may be given by mailing it to the last address, if  any, stated in the claim as the address to which notices are to be sent. If no address for notices is stated in the claim, the notice may be mailed to the last address, if any, of the claimant as stated in the claim.  No notice of denial need be given if the claim fails to state either the last address to which notices are to be sent or the address of the claimant.

(c) If a claim is allowed, the administrator shall pay over or deliver to the claimant the property or the amount the administrator actually received or the net proceeds if it has been sold by the administrator, together with any additional amount required by K.S.A. 58-3954 and amendments thereto.  Interest reported under the previous disposition of unclaimed property act shall not be computed, paid or delivered to the claimant after enactment of this act.  If the claim is for property presumed abandoned under K.S.A. 58-3943 and amendments thereto which was sold by the administrator within three years after the date of delivery, the amount payable for that claim is the value of the property at the time the claim was made or the net proceeds of sale, whichever is greater.

(d) Any holder who pays the owner for property that has been delivered to the state and which, if claimed from the administrator, would be subject to subsection (c) shall add any additional amount as provided in K.S.A. 58-3954 and amendments thereto. The additional amount shall be repaid to the holder by the administrator in the same manner as the principal.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Kansas may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.